Saab to GM

According to my brother who reads AutoNews, SAAB is trying to get GM to promote SAAB performance features and to build high-performance cars in Sweden.

Reply to
Dan

If that's true, it's certainly a Good Thing.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Saab didn't need GM to do that !

Saab always built high performance motor cars in Sweden.

GM simply want them to be made in Germany more cheaply in an Opel factory ! And also forget about their Swedish heritage.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Dan,

That is good because SAAB Sweden indicated that they will begin to promote this as they mentioned it at the SAAB Festival in Sweden a week ago.

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

Graham,

Saab will have a specialized "Sweden Design Center" even though some Saabs will be built in Germany, don't worry.

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

Craig,

Absolutely! Saab is going to try to follow some of their performance marketing from the 1980s I believe

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

"Saab Guy" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com...

So!? I don't want the guys that build the crap-no-good Opel cars, to build my Saab, so personally, my Saab days are over, once you cannot buy a Saab "Made-in-Sweden" anymore.... :o(

Reply to
Henrik B.

So you are saying that the new Saab 9-3 Convertible is a bad car?=20

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

"Saab Guy" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com...

No, but it's also not build by Opel.

Reply to
Henrik B.

Very sadly I will have to concur.

The choice is made easier for me by the absence of any hatchback in the current range.

I plan hopefully to find a nice '97 or '98 9000 Aero ideally or 2.3t and keep it as long as possible by maintaining it 'by the book'..

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

in article snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com, Pooh Bear at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 28/06/2005 22:54:

I can understand your sentiment, but don't forget, our beloved Björn Envall moved from SAAB to Opel ... and back again. Opel are not "the enemy"! :)

Paul

Var tog vägen vägen? SAAB : Nothing on earth comes close

Reply to
Paul Halliday

True enough that Opel are indeed capable of making perfectly servicable and pleasant cars.

They're just not *Saabs* though !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hmmm..this begs the question...what makes a Saab a Saab? Is it how it's designed? Quirky, creative, outside-the-box, high performance design and engineering. Or is it because it's assembled by a crew of Swedes in Trollhattan? Would you have been any less pleased had your C900 rolled off an assembly line in Russelheim, Germany? Same exact car. And we'll assume, for the sake of argument, same build/assembly quality.

In one aspect, your logical mind says "hmmm...same car, i should be just as pleased with it". The other portion of your mind illogically says "welll, i'm not so sure...i really like the idea Sven assembling my car as opposed to Wilhelm'. This is pretty much what it boils down to.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

"Tex" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

That's the problem: Opel doesn't build/assemble cars as well as Saab does - that's why.

Reply to
Henrik B.

Graham,

Saab says that they are bringing back the hatchback in 2008 though.

SaabGuy

Reply to
Saab Guy

A 1997? These GM 'Saabs'. I bought a GM 'Saab' for my daughter to drive, knowing that in my area it is not a matter of 'if' a beginning driver is going to damage a car, but 'when'. I will not let a perfectly good Classic Saab (designed and built in Sweden) be destroyed in this manner. I drive the Classic turbo :-)

Reply to
ma_twain

The 9000 is a pre-GM car, developed in cooperation with Fiat and Alfa Romeo, well before GM got any influence over Saab. Even the CS model I would claim to be a true Saab, although it was produced when GM owned

50% of Saab.
Reply to
th