"Saab vs. Segway"

It's hard to take authority figures on Segways seriously. Dean Kamen, the guy who invented the Segway (and some other things that were actually really useful), attended my alma mater many years before I got there. He was the commencement speaker the year before I graduated and I guess he rolled in to the ceremonies on a Segway.

The following year, the campus police were using them to give out parking tickets and whatnot. "Use of the Segway HTs is expected to open relations between officers and students-acting as an icebreaker to spark conversations and make officers more approachable."

Shane Almeida

You went to WPI in Worcester? Wow! :)

Reply to
Saab Guy

Must be funny to see the Campus rent-a-cops trying to segway through the Worcester snow. I've always thought that this particular invention is a solution looking for a problem. I have no problem moving down the sidewalk under the sole power of "shank's mare". That and I burn a few calories and improve my cardio fitness just a tad at the same time. If the segway actually ever took off and people began using them as much as the inventor imagines our legs would all eventually atrophy...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

The thing that struck me the first time I saw one up close is how noisy it is, sounds like a couple of cordless drills buzzing and grinding away, not nearly as graceful as it looks in pictures. I don't know how anyone could have thought they'd ever take off, at that price point they're a toy for the wealthy and the super geeky who have to have the latest widget. For the same price I can get a car, a motorcycle, a bicycle and a decent pair of rollerblades if I shop around a bit on the used market.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm with you there. Well, except for the rollerblades. But I've got all the rest and spent way less than the tag on one of those things.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Went from 1999 to 2003 and now I'm back for more. I just can't get enough of beautiful Worcester, though I don't like driving my Saab there because of Worcester's notoriously bad transitions between parking lots and streets.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

Shane,

I remember those! :) I had to drive my 89 9000 Turbo on 45 degree angles leaving and entering the parking lots myself, I could not drive straight on either in nor out from one.

What is up with that? Did they do that for flooding?

SG

Reply to
Saab Guy