Saabs in UK

Just a curiosity thread here..on a recent three-day visit to London, I spotted no more than a dozen Saabs (amongst the 1000s of cars I passed). Here in a typical small New England town I can usually spot at least a half dozen as I simply drive through town.

Given the recent claims of Saab becoming the fastest growing brand in the UK, I wondered where all the Saabs were??? I saw plenty of BMWs and the usual dosage of Mercedes. Did I just miss them as I strolled the streets?

- tex

Reply to
Tex

in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Tex at snipped-for-privacy@aspam101.org wrote on 08/06/2005 21:53:

How did you like our little island? :)

You're right. Few and far between ... Fewer for old(er) SAABs, which makes waving at them all the more fun :) I'm aware of the suggestion that the UK is _the_ market for SAABs, but I don't see many either. Very odd!

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Might be a "little island", but I sure wouldn't want to paint it... Me, I spent about 3 months there, and plan to return periodically.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Seem to be plenty in the North :-)

Usually see several a day round here, mainly 9-3's and 9-5's. But I still see the odd C900 or even 99!

Reply to
jb

I see quite many new Saab 9-3 around London, but they are no longer as distinct; only the front grille makes them look different from many other cars. It often takes a second look before you notice that it's a Saab.

Reply to
Johannes

There's plenty round here. I sometimes see several just on my drive into work. A mix of 9000s, GM900s, 95s and 93s. Very few classic 900s though.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hmmm... I've always found that sloping bonnet line with the narrow grille and the highish rear end to be a bit of a giveaway. I still think they look distinctive.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

There are *tons* round here. I'm surprised that St Albans doesn't have its own dealership.

It may be demographically related. Saabs are typically seen to be bought by more discerning drivers. Or as they put it on Top Gear the other week when mentioning the 93 'wagon' or sportsomething as its called here ( aaargh they called it the Sport Wagon *even in the UK* - yuk ) 'the car that nice ppl drive'.

Graham

for the benefit of US readers a 'wagon' in the UK is either something from the Wild West or midlands / northenether speak for a heavy goods vehicle ! More appropriate to Scania than Saab.Conceivably also a farm vehicle.

Reply to
Pooh Bear

in article 5ELpe.4002$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net, jb at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 09/06/2005 01:00:

I'll maybe notice 10-20 9-3s, 9-5s and GM900s on my commute, but that's still a very small number compared to the hundreds of cars that I pass. I see another C900 maybe once a week; a few at the weekend if I go for a leisure drive. The only time I see a 99 is if I pass the one I know of that is parked on bricks :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Same here. Quite a few 9k's, a lot of GM 900's, and a fair few 900 style

9-3's.

Seeing more and more 9-5's and plenty of 9-3CS models arround, especially in the golden green colour from the TV ad, and I have to admit, I like it.

Only see about 2 C900's a week. And they make me smile even more, now that I no longer own one. I have to admit, I've been twawling Ebay for C900 convertables, since we have seen a general increase in temperatures in the last couple of weeks, and more so this week since the sun has been out.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

We've got less C900's here in Australia. I've seen quite a few of them in my travels around Sydney, but we do have around 5 million people in the 'extended' city that's called Sydney, so there are bound to be many more C900's which I'll come across in time.

What's really rare is 99's. I think that in the time I've owned my white

1983 900S (for 2 years), I've only seen two 99's.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Loved it...in fact, I'm heading back in July!

I actually would add Canada to Saab's emerging markets as well. Apparently, sales of them there are up as well. Perhaps, it's the British influence ;-)

I guess it will take time for Saabs to start appearing in numbers across the UK.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Seen a few arround, on the road (rather than at shows), but no more than

5 or 6.
Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

You see Saab 93s and 95s regularly? That's amazing - last ones I saw, are mine.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ha! Nope...Bastille Day actually. Will be there between the 13th and 17th.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

I made a note to count them today.

In my run into work ( approx 22 miles but on fairly quiet roads - I prefer that to the slightly shorter 'main road' route that's rarely any quicker ) I was behind a nice '93

9000 Aero in Imola red for about 4 miles - loved the way it surged ahead ( I want one ) a 95 and current 93.

On the way back a mix of 4 95s and current 93s plus a GM 900 or '93 facelift'. And I'm not counting the 2 GM900s that are regularly parked near me.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I think that original followup meant 9-3's and 9-5's. 8-)

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

I will do the same. I expect one of each, and also 3 96's, and 2 97's. Oh, and the 99, the 900, and the 9-5. I...think that's it.

And I'm not

Wow. Were the 95s strokers, or V4s?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Even Saab exhibit some schizophrenia over the numbering. The 9-3 sportwagon brochure I downloaded is called Saab 93 sw.pdf

If ascii could do a big 9 I could get it right ! :-)

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

brochure I downloaded

Or, you could notice the convention in the group to spell it 9-5 and

9-3 maybe?
Reply to
Dave Hinz