Seat Heaters

Hello, I have a 1993 900cs( Non Turbo) with 100K miles on it . I love it . If I were to die I would wish to be buried in it ( space permitting). My wife will only commit to cremating me and sending the car to the crusher. But at my viewing a picture of the car will be put on my box , and even in my hand if I behave from now until my final moments. This should stand as an example of my love for this car as I am behaving beautifully. No fast driving or risk taking.

The problem I have is she will not ride in it in the cold weather , since the heated seats do not work. She has grown accustomed to luxuries she says.

I have tried everything short of stripping the seats to check the wiring . New Dash Switch . New fuse in fuse box. Although all of the other electrical components that run through that specific fuse are working so I suspect the fuse is OK.

Does anyone have any other suggestion? I am not anxious to strip the seat as I do not think I can get the seat covers back on correctly and it also seems like more work than it is worth.

Is here anyway to check the thermostatic switch in the seat without tearing the seat apart? Is there a way to check its continuity also without stripping the seats ?

Is there any folk remedy or quick fix someone in the SAAB User Community knows that can fix this problem easily?

Allan Schneider

Reply to
Allan Schneider

Look under the pass. seat. There are two chain operated switches that act as sensor for weight/person in the seat. One switch is for the seat heater, the other is for the seat belt warning light. These switches are attached to the rear seat frame with small hooks. Sometimes these hooks become undone from the seat frame. This has the same effect as no weight in the seat, so the seat heater/belt light will never come on. See

(not sure, may only work if you're registered)

Disconnect the connector under the seat. With a multimeter, check for continuity at the seat connector, there should be about 3 Ohms resistance. Put a plastic bag with ice cubes on the thermostatic switch in the seat to make sure it is closed. Usually you can see where the switch is, as the seat is slightly more worn at that spot, see

If there is no continuity it is most likely that the heater wire is broken at the thermostatic switch. In any case, there is no need to "tear the seat apart". The seat cover can be removed and replaced in a civilised fashion... In my '77

96 (with same type of heated seats) I've taken out the therm. switch and put a manual on/off switch between the seats.
Reply to
MH

Have you checked for voltage at the seat where the heater plugs into the car? I need to fix mine as well, I suspect the problem is a wire broken off the thermostat in the seat, I've fixed it on several Volvos but haven't had a look at the Saab seat yet.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thank you for the reply and VERY complete answer. But the drivers side seat heater does not work either.Does this change your suggestion ? Does this mean I begin looking at the drivers seat first ? it seems like it would.

The picts are GREAT , do they apply to both seats? Does the drivers seat look like the picture?

Now can I see this easily without taking the seat out ? If not can the seat be removed by sliding it toward the steering wheel? If not how?

Allan Schneider

Reply to
Allan Schneider

Nope... not really. You may first want to check if the fuse is OK though... and see here

You have the version with or without a 3 heat settings switch on the dashboard? I was refering to the version without, but there's no basic difference. This is the '85+ schematic diagram;

The driver's seat has no need for switches, they asumed there's at least one driver in the car...

You can, just look under the seats... use a flashlight...

Yes and slide them back, and undo the bolts that hold the seat to the floor. See

MH

I have the version with the three position switch on the dash board. As I understand it the drivers seat has only a thermostatic switch in it ?

Correct ?

The fuse is fine as every other device ( electrical ) going through it works fine .

Thus if it is not working then the passenger side will not work at all.

Are there connectors on the wire to the switches in the seat , that may be disconnected when the seat is removed ? Where are they ? Can I see them without removing the seat ? Should I open them first before I remove the seat or after?

Reply to
Allan Schneider