Serpentine Belt tensioner

I have just replaced the timing chain and the balancer chain on a 1996

9000 Aero Automatic with the engine in the car. How does one compress the serpentine belt tensioner again to put the belt back on. Any good ideas appreciated. Thanks
Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

With the belt correctly routed but leave it loose on the idler. Use an

18" long 1/2" drive breaker bar. Slip a 19 mm socket on it. Stand in front of the engine on the passenger side. Put the socket on the bolt of the tensioner from the top between the coolant reservoir and the engine and push. When you have the tensioner compressed this way with your right hand holding the bar, bend down and slip the belt on the idler with your left hand through the passenger side wheel opening.

Takes about 2 minutes. This is by far the simplest way to compressed the tensioner without any special tool.

Reply to
yaofengchen

There is a special tool for the job, but you can do it by using a long 19mm spanner on the centre bolt of the belt tensioning pulley that is next to the tensioner itself. Turn the bolt anti clockwise, You MUST do this slowly as the tensioner is a blind hydraulic cylinder with a effing strong spring inside it. The bolt itself is lht so it wont come undone. I would suggest a dummy run first to get the feel of it before trying to put on the belt, Do not just let the tension off but release it slowly, Regards, Tom, Saabtech.

Reply to
saabtech

fobghxjp

That'll be driver's side for NZ !

Oh well... I have to have my water pump replaced next week anyway. I'll leave it to the mechanic.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Problem I had was that the piston wasn't going in perfectly straight and kept binding on my (old) tensioner.

I ended up compressing it in a vice and wiring it in a closed position. Then I could do the thing with the socket and bar.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor