"Service theft alarm" help?

My 2002 9-5 Aero got the dreaded "service theft alarm" message. No worries, I thought, I had saved away the instructions on how to fix that, which are now at

I removed the front wheel and wheel well liner (which was not as simple as he said), disconnected the cable (which required figuring out the locking connector), and pulled out the alarm module.

The next step says to take it apart by removing six phillips screws. Problem: there are no visible phillips screws on my unit. Apparently they have changed the alarm module since the '99 model to prevent enterprising owners from depriving the dealerships of income, grumble...

I can see where six screws probably are by the smooth spots on the top of the cover, but there's no way to get at them.

So, what should I do?

  • Drill out holes to access the screws? Am I likely to break anything if I do this? I assume I'd want to seal the whole thing up with silicone if I did this. Hopefully they haven't changed to a different battery too.

  • Punt and give the dealer his 0 or whatever it costs to fix this?

  • Button up the wheel well and say "I didn't need the stupid alarm anyway!" ? Or will the car pitch a fit if the alarm module is missing?

Help! Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Nobody has any suggestions?

I tried turning on the car with the alarm module removed, and it gives the "service theft alarm" message. Seems to think there's something wrong with having it missing. :-) So I guess I could just run without it, except I'd be dealing with the error message every time I start the car. Or I could put it back in, and hope it doesn't start sounding off inappropriately.

I guess I'll try drilling into it, replacing the batteries, and replacing it. Worst case I kill it, and that's no worse than running without it.

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Well, a few holes later, it appears there ARE no screws in this thing. The case is sonically welded or something like that. I will see if I can crack it open without destroying it...

Reply to
Gary Fritz