Shell V-Power Opinions

Hi all,

We, in the UK, are now the happy recipients of shell V-Power, a high octane fuel rated to 99 RON. I am interested to hear people's opinions of this fuel, particularly from fellow CIS system pilots!

I filled up with V-Power and found that I was unable to make more than basic boost, with very occasional spikes and quick drops back to basic boost. Thinking there was an electrical fault in the APC system, I checked the whole system over. Once empty, I happened to put a little 95 RON and found I was able to make full boost again, albeit with a little knock a high revs.

I filled up on my normal supermarket fuel and my car was back to normal. I have since swapped my aged Bosch HT leads for "proper" Bougicords and replaced the distributor cap and rotor arm. Curiosity got the better of me and I filled up on V-Power to find exactly the same situation. Upon finishing that tank, I'm now on Total Excellium (rated to 97 RON) and again have no problems and top boost throughout the rev range in all gears.

Can anyone shed any light on this? APC is reading the situation as "knock", or that's what my APC knock LED says. With 99 RON, you'd think the exact opposite would be happening. Is it just that I am unable to combust the fuel?

I know a C900 8V driver who really rates it, but he has very odd timing to suit an esoteric Heuschmid cam in his car. What do other stock C900/99T 8V drivers think?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

hmm well I tried a tank of tesco 99 ron in my T16 - felt more responsive at low revs but boost was down and variable....

sometimes full boost, other times about 4mm shy of red....seemed better after a 'good thrashing'

Reply to
john

in article MckQg.24002$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net, john at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 21/09/2006 00:33:

I've yet to try Tesco 99 ... If it runs fine, as other 8V drivers are reporting, then V-Power will be confirmed as a dud for my car. If not, then perhaps my car cannot handle higher octane fuels ... I'll be looking for reasons why. I can run Texaco SUL quite happily (I think that is 98 RON) and

97 RON is perfectly acceptable.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article C1373A88.5482% snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk, Paul Halliday at snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 20/09/2006 18:35:

Turned out to be my fuelling ... It was miles off :? At 1.8% CO, V-Power ignites just fine.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday