silicone hose replacement for c900 top rad hose without A/C

Hiya,

Curious to know if there is a silicone replacement available for the c900 top radiator hose for 8V engines in cars which don't have A/C fitted (or have had A/C removed thereby enabling removal of the A/C high-temp cutout switch and associated tee-piece holder)?

I don't know what the Saab part number is the for the genuine rubber hose.

Ta if you can help.

Reply to
Guru Scott and Hinz

Guru Scott and Hinz (Guru Scott and Hinz ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Dunno about silicone or 8v, but the top hose on an aircon car is just the same as the top hose on a non-aircon car... but with a chunk cut out the middle for the T-piece...

Reply to
Adrian

Yeah I found that both PFS and Elkparts do actually stock the hose I need for the 81 turbo c900, but PFS's ex-VAT price is significantly less. Plus PFS has more c900 parts that Elkparts, so they're more frequently visited.

Craig.

Reply to
Saab Nine-Tee-Nine

Now I have the hose issue resolved, I'm starting on the T16 intercooler installation. Dunno what the Guru Scott guy is doing to need the replacement top rad hose - I guess removing A/C from the older c900's is a fairly common thing now since it's becoming significantly harder to justify keeping A/C systems on older 'project' cars working. Here is Oz at least we don't need A/C much of the time but I know a Volvo guy who's in to 240's, etc. who can't handle not having A/C working! 8-)

So go figure.

Reply to
Saab Nine-Tee-Nine

Saab Nine-Tee-Nine (Saab Nine-Tee-Nine ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If anybody IS ripping the aircon out of a c900, I need the metal T-piece from the top hose. Mine'd rusted through, and I want to get the aircon up and kicking.

Reply to
Adrian

You're welcome to have mine - my top hose blew and I replaced it with a one-piece hose and then stripped the rest of the AC out. It's a 'vert FFS - it has aircon ... it's called the roof :)

Nah - the AC was crap, didn't work and was too much to deal with. Removed!

The t-piece is a little rusty but it's in one piece. e-mail me if you're interested snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk - I'll get some photographs for you tomorrow.

Reply to
PJGH

PJGH (PJGH ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ta. Sold. My email works.

Reply to
Adrian

I need the one from my 81 turbo to go in my 89 16v car as it's rusted and the thermoswitch gasket is badly decayed too so it seeps coolant. I think the actually 110 C normally-closed thermoswitch is available from saabsite.com (PFS doesn't stock it) but it's end-of-year time and most places won't be doing any shipping until mid to late Jan. now. 8-)

I have raised the issue of getting these t-piece thermoswitch holders custom-made in a few forums and I think there is interest, but I don't have any access to a machine shop or supplies of materials. Ideally, they should be made from stainless steel so they don't rust. I don't think new steel ones are available any more (and I have no idea where Saab would have got them from originally). There are the really bad plastic ones from the 1985 cars used with the Clarion A/C systems but they're worse than the steel ones and tend to suffer rather serious failures from the plastic getting brittle and falling apart with age.

Craig.

Reply to
Saab C900 Viggenist