sluggish start

Our 2002 9-3 starts sluggishly, even during warmer weather. It sounds like a weak battery, but even when fully charged, it still sounds the same. During cold weather, it will not start when the interior lighting is left on for a short time.

The dealer says that alternator is fine, and the battery is fully charged. Is it the character of Saabs to start sluggishly in general?

Reply to
SPL

No, it is not.

If the car is sluggish even in warm weather, it's possible that the wiring to the starter is bad, or the starter itself is bad.

Another possibility, although lesser, is that the oil is simply too thick and viscous at low temperatures, but this is contraindicated by the sluggish starting in summer.

I'd see what the battery does under a charging load, and then I'd try to measure the voltage directly at the starter motor and see what that is (when starting, of course). In some cars, there's a resistor between the starter motor and the battery, if there's one here, then it might be bad.

On the other hand, the dealer could be wrong. If you buy a hydrometer, and check the specific gravity of each of the cells (assuming it's not sealed), then the reading will tell you (and will be shown on a % charge scale) of how well the battery is charged.

If you are in the US, places like the battery store and autozone will have do it yourself battery testers that can test the battery under load. It might be worth while pulling the battery (remove ground first, then hot) to see what is going on. When reinstalling, replace hot wire first, then ground).

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

My positive battery cable was a bit loose and corroded. I got it changed and it starts like a charm now, cold or warm. I understand Saabs draw a lot of power when they start.

My 2c, Ben

99-9.3
Reply to
Ben