Smoking Auxiliary belt (fan belt / serpentine belt)

Hi, On a long trip at high speed, once I slowed down I noticed a burning smell from the engine compartment (of my 1997 Saab 900s 2.0i, 160K miles). I opened the bonnet and there was a small amount of smoke coming from the belt (the one that drives the oil, power steering, and AC pumps). The belt seems in good condition though it looks a little

"shiny" on the outside face. The inside, ridged, face looks just fine. A mechanic said it was likely to be the tensioner pulley bearings seizing up rather than the belt its self giving up. Sounds like an OK reason to me. Checking the Haynes manual it says the belt should be changed every 15K miles or so - I missed that one along the way. Mine hasn't been done in something like 80K miles. How difficult and expensive is it to replace the pulley bearings and belt do you think? There is a bit of a squeal developing now.) Many thanks, Drew

Drew wrote:

Quite easy. The worst part is getting access to everything which requires removing the right front wheel well liner. I would definitely replace the pulleys and the belt.

--
-Fred W

Fred W wrote:

I agree, I have a 96 900s and the idler pully froze and caused alot of smoke, and tore the belt all to %&%%$$%$%! It is easy enuff to fix, but as Fred said, you do have to pull the right front wheel well liner.

I have a 1985 900 which destroyed a belt in the middle of nowhere in Montana prior to 1989. I replaced the belts at the time of the incident and haven't thought about them or done anything about them since. Do they really need to be replaced every 15K miles?

The 9000/NG900/9^3/9^5 have a serpentine belt with an automatic tensioner/idler pulley. This 1 belt carries all the aux load (PS/AC/alt/WP). I dunno if it is a 15k or 25k, but if it goes, you are dead in the water. Good insurance to replace it and keep the old one in the trunk just in case.

and, on all of these, replace the pulleys at 60kmi regardless of what the Saab manual says. Saab/GM's position is that it is an 'indefinite life' part which is completely wrong. It is usually not the belt that fails, but this/these pulleys which sieze, throwing the belt.

KeithG

Everett M. Greene wrote:

3 things:

1) an 85 C900 is a different animal from a NG900. Did any C900

2) I would replace the belts every 30k miles and check it every 15k per the SAAB recomendations / schedule.

3) I would replace the idler and tensioner pulleys at every second belt change since the wheel well liner is already off.

--
-Fred W

[Did what?]

I failed to notice that the OP said NG900.

Off for what?

Everett M. Greene wrote:

Sorry. My reply became truncated somehow. I meant to say "Did any C900 even come with serpentine belts?"

Off to change the belt. It's a serious PITA to attempt to change the belt with the liner still on. I know that it *can* be done. But it will probably be faster to just bite the bullet and pull off the liner.

--
-Fred W

Thanks for all the advice; that's my job for the weekend! Drew.