Smoking Auxiliary belt (fan belt / serpentine belt)

Threaded View

Hi,
On a long trip at high speed, once I slowed down I noticed a burning
smell from the engine compartment (of my 1997 Saab 900s 2.0i, 160K
miles).  I opened the bonnet and there was a small amount of smoke
coming from the belt (the one that drives the oil, power steering, and
AC pumps).  The belt seems in good condition though it looks a little
"shiny" on the outside face.  The inside, ridged, face looks just
fine.  A mechanic said it was likely to be the tensioner pulley
bearings seizing up rather than the belt its self giving up.  Sounds
like an OK reason to me.  Checking the Haynes manual it says the belt
should be changed every 15K miles or so - I missed that one along the
way.  Mine hasn't been done in something like 80K miles.  How
difficult and expensive is it to replace the pulley bearings and belt
do you think?  There is a bit of a squeal developing now.)
Many thanks,
Drew

Re: Smoking Auxiliary belt (fan belt / serpentine belt)

Quite easy.  The worst part is getting access to everything which
requires removing the right front wheel well liner.  I would definitely
replace the pulleys and the belt.

--
-Fred W

Re: Smoking Auxiliary belt (fan belt / serpentine belt)

I agree, I have a 96 900s and the idler pully froze and caused alot of
smoke, and tore the belt all to %&%%$$%$%! It is easy enuff to fix, but
as Fred said, you do have to pull the right front wheel well liner.

Re: Smoking Auxiliary belt (fan belt / serpentine belt)

I have a 1985 900 which destroyed a belt in the middle
of nowhere in Montana prior to 1989.  I replaced the belts
at the time of the incident and haven't thought about them
or done anything about them since.  Do they really need to
be replaced every 15K miles?

Re: Smoking Auxiliary belt (fan belt / serpentine belt)

The 9000/NG900/9^3/9^5 have a serpentine belt with an automatic
tensioner/idler pulley. This 1 belt carries all the aux load
(PS/AC/alt/WP). I dunno if it is a 15k or 25k, but if it goes, you are
dead in the water. Good insurance to replace it and keep the old one in
the trunk just in case.

and, on all of these, replace the pulleys at 60kmi regardless of what
the Saab manual says. Saab/GM's position is that it is an 'indefinite
life' part which is completely wrong. It is usually not the belt that
fails, but this/these pulleys which sieze, throwing the belt.

KeithG

Re: Smoking Auxiliary belt (fan belt / serpentine belt)

3 things:

1) an 85 C900 is a different animal from a NG900.  Did any C900

2) I would replace the belts every 30k miles and check it every 15k per
the SAAB recomendations / schedule.

3) I would replace the idler and tensioner pulleys at every second belt
change since the wheel well liner is already off.

--
-Fred W

Re: Smoking Auxiliary belt (fan belt / serpentine belt)

[Did what?]

I failed to notice that the OP said NG900.

Off for what?

Re: Smoking Auxiliary belt (fan belt / serpentine belt)

Sorry.  My reply became truncated somehow.  I meant to say "Did any C900
even come with serpentine belts?"

Off to change the belt.  It's a serious PITA to attempt to change the
belt with the liner still on.  I know that it *can* be done.  But it
will probably be faster to just bite the bullet and pull off the liner.

--
-Fred W

Re: Smoking Auxiliary belt (fan belt / serpentine belt)

Thanks for all the advice; that's my job for the weekend!
Drew.

Site Timeline