'soccerball' wheels - what material?

Hi everyone,

I picked up a set (well 5 actually) of 'soccerball' Saab wheels today. They're pretty neglected but don't have any significant 'rash', etc. They all have very good tyres with even trear wear and about 85 percent tread on them (the seller said that they'd done less than 2000 km since new - certainly seems like they've seen little use).

What I'm wonder is this - what material are they made from? Are they straight aluminium or something different?

I'm thinking about cleaning them up by simply removing all the old flaking and very degraded paint that seems to have been applied, then either re-painting them in a colour that's a bit brighter (say yellow) to match the cream-coloured paint on my 1985 900i.

The material they're made from will determine how they get treated for long-term protection since I'd need to be careful about priming, cleaning, etc. before painting and aluminium is a soft metal so it'll need to be treated carefully.

Any tips/advice/etc. on this subject greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site