Sonett starter

Hey all,

I'm looking for a place to buy a starter for a '72 Sonett. None of the auto parts stores seem to have a listing, although they do list the starter drive. Does anyone know of a part number or cross reference? I was wondering of the starter is the same as in a more common application, since it's made by Bosch.

Thanks in advance,

Mike in Florida

Reply to
MikeinFla

It is the same as used in the SAAB 95 and 96 (with Ford V4) The SAAB part no is 8801078 (early) or 8807596 (late 95/96) and Bosch 0 001 208 029 or 0 001 311 023

If the starter is missing from our car, contact Chip Lamb at

, I'm sure he has a used one for you. If youstill have the starter but it's just broken, you can have it rebuilt at anyBosch service station. You can also keep an eye on Ebay, this '78 99 one looks very similar to a

95/96/97 one
Here's a cross reference for other vSAAB parts
MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8
MH

Got several, would be happy to send you one. But, does anyone know if this is the same starter as, say, an early 2-liter? You might be able to source it locally that way.

Another option would be to find a place that rebuilds alternators and starters; the Bosch starter on the V4 is very robust and should be rebuildable.

Bigger question though -what's it doing, or not doing? Before we go finding a new starter, let's see what's wrong with this one. In any case, I've got more than a couple. Drop me an email and we'll exchange phone numbers & work out the details if you want one.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz