Steering lock - 04 9-3 ARC

Today after turning off the engine I needed to move the car almost immediately so putting the key back in, I got the "Steering Lock Malf." in the SID.

Steering had not locked but ignition switch was. I couldn't turn the key or obviously move the gear selector. I locked and unlocked the car, wiggled the steering, used a different key, nothing gave. So I called the SAAB Roadside Assistance, which after 10 minutes of waiting I was asked to go through the above steps and of course nothing worked.

By now I had resigned to have the tow truck come to take me 100 miles to my dealer. But my good wife browsed through the Net and discovered that the problem is not an isolated one and a few had work-around solutions.

Following the messages posted, I removed and replaced the number 1 and 2 fuses (steering lock and ignition switch). That unlocked my ignition and I can at least start the car. The steering lock is however still non-operative.

I understand replacing the ignition switch and/or software upgrade can resolve the problem.

I wonder if anyone else here has had the same experience.

Hale

Reply to
hale