Steering wheel audio control failure?

Guys

My horn and wheel mounted audio controls have suddenly stopped working. I have looked at what I thought were the obvious fuses and all seems OK (those labelled as Horn and Radio).

Any ideas as to what may be wrong? Any help appreciated.

Reply to
indecisive

Did the horn stop working at the same time? The horn an the audio controls share the same wire pair, the horn button is a direct connection between the wires and the audio controls connect various resistors between the wires. The decoding is done inside the SID (the information display) and the SID either activates the horn relay or sends a message over the network (CAN bus) to the stereo. If the horn stopped working at the same time then perhaps the there is a problem with the spiral-thing, or its connectors, that transfers the signals from the steering wheel. If the horn still works then there must be some problem inside the SID or stereo.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Hi Goran - thanks for the response. I believe they both stopped working simultaneously. Certainly neither works now!

Is this likely to be an expensive repair does anyone know? I hope not...it's not a great time of year (post Xmas) for repairs!!

Reply to
indecisive

FYI guys.

The problem with airbag light, audio controls and horn were all related to the same root cause - the horn interface with the wheel. Had it replaced today for AU$320 and all is well.

Reply to
indecisive