strange noise in dash when turning

I have a 97 9000 Aero and have recently noticed a new noise. I'm wondering if it might be indicative of a low level of freon in the ac system. It happens when I turn hard, to the right or left, while the car is moving. There is a squeaking, whooshing sound. Almost like liquid shifting from one side to another. I suspected the cabin temp sensor so removed that last weekend and cleaned it. As a further test, I stuck a small shaft into the cabin temp sensor to stop that fan. Still got the noise when turning the car. Less noticeable on gentler turns. No strange sounds at all when driving straight ahead or hard stopping.

Any ideas what I might be hearing.

Thanks.

Michael

Reply to
mdb

The refrigerant in the a/c system won't make noise when you turn corners. It is a gas under pressure and doesn't really move around because of turning forces.

You might be close to the culprit though.. Sometimes the condensate drain for the a/c system clogs up and the plenum starts to fill with water. I had an old Cadi that would dump about a gallon of ice water on your feet during a turn when it clogged. After a couple of times of this happening I learned to keep that drain clear!

I don't know exactly where the drain is on your hose but it should be coming out the passenger side firewall area.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

It is likely a plugged evaporator housing drain - the trapped water sloshes on turns and can 'bother' the fan - which makes the noise and can eventually over-stress the fan, too. A good site is quasimotors saab 9000 site - in the faq section, there's a part about the ac evap drain with a pic of the drain outlet (of course it is under the car) - site is: quasimotors.com - go to the faq section and then the ac evap drain section and click on the pic link to see the outlet

ALSO - you don't need to stick anything in the opening of the cabin temp sensor to see if it is running (could be costly for you to do that) - just take a smallish section of single ply toilet or kleenex type tissue and rest it against the cabin sensor grille - the fan sucks in so if it is working, it will hold the tissue in place. Over time, the little temp sensor bulb in there can acquire a "helmet" of crud and that can affect sensor accuracy - that can be resolved with a spritz of compressed air from a photo/computer type air-blast cleaner can

Rick

Reply to
bozo

Thanks for the suggestion about the evaporator drain. I'll check it out. As for the temp sensor, I knew it was working but wasn't sure if the bearing in that unit might be the source of the noise. I stopped the little fan and did a few hard turns to see if the noise stopped. It didn't. I assume the drain problem will continue to worsen until it's unblocked so will get to that asap.

Reply to
mdb

You can also listen for the fan just after turning the engine off. The fan runs for several seconds with no engine running and that sound is clearly audible.

Reply to
th

Yeah... don't fool with the mechanism. Unplug it if you want, but treat it nice, they are expensive. FYI - A new one will not make much noise, even with the car off. When they get older they get noisier (even after cleaning, go figure).

Reply to
still me