suspension noise

Hi,

Ever since I replaced rear springs/shocks on my 1992 900, I've been hearing a knocking noise when going over bumps emanating from the rear right wheel. This was not heard at all before the spring/shock job. All shock bushings are brand new, and are the ones that came with the Koni shocks. I tried removing and reinstalling the upper top bushing to no avail (I haven't yet invested the time and effort to remove the shock and check the lower top bushing, but I have no reason to think I installed it incorrectly). The left rear wheel, which had the exact same equipment installed at the same time, doesn't make this noise.

Yes, I have some tools and stuff in the back, but they are not concentrated on the right side of the car, and I really don't think they are the cause. I've checked that the spare tire is firmly bolted down (though that's on the left side anyway).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
John B

Have you done the simple 'bounce test' since the shocks were replaced ? i.e. push the corner of the car and see how it responds. If you see different results from LH to RH then something's wrong.

Did you actually *need* the springs replaced too btw ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yep, it bounces without anomaly. The car also drives perfectly. If I were deaf, I wouldn't think anything was wrong.

Absolutely. The rear was sagged down, bottoming out over bumps, and the axle was banging against the exhaust. Those problems are now gone.

It might be my imagination, but I think that since I removed and reinstalled the top shock bushing the sound is actually slightly worse. I think I should invest the effort to get a look at the other (bottom) bushing (that which sits directly on top of the shock).

John

Reply to
John B

I was having similar knocks when I replaced the rear shocks on a 900S. I couldn't figure out where the noise came from. It turns out the the shock "skirt" which was made out of plastic, was moving from side to side and hitting the shock shaft. I took a hacksaw, sawed off about 2 inches of the skirt and the noise is gone.

The rear shocks on a 900S are very long so when the shock is extended the skirt flops around freely (bad design),

Reply to
Tango

Thanks for the idea, I'll check it out. I was wondering about that actually, though I was thinking that the skirt might be hitting the spring.

If I remove part of the skirt, won't that expose the shock piston to the elements?

What brand of shocks did you put on?

John

Reply to
John B

You are exposed to the elements anyway this is why I didn't care. As far as the brand, I got what I could get from the auto store. I don't like to pay dealer prices besides, the original factory shocks were filled with oil, the ones I put on were filled with gas.

Reply to
Tango