the 83 turbo engine starts to reveal it's secrets (not good ones!)

Hi everyone,

Some of you would have seen the threads covering this at Saablink and at my site:

I've included a bunch of pictures with the postings to show the 'secrets' of the engine, and I'd be interested to know from your experiences how you'd rate the corrosion damage to the cylinder head, cracking in the exhaust manifold, etc.

I have a replacement turbo, and might be able to use the cylinder head from my 1983 non-turbo donor car, but I don't have a replacement for the exhaust manifold. I've been in touch with Jak Stoll and he's rough-quoted around US$750 for a full-custom replacement exhaust manifold. That more or less matches the quoted A$1000 from Rose Engineering in Brisbane (here in Oz).

I'd still like to locate a good used OEM casting somewhere - eventually I will find one! However the idea of a proper heavy-duty custom-made exhaust manifold is quite attractive, despite the cost implications. Might be good for long-term peace of mind though.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Hi,

I don't think the head is particularly corroded (on its surfaces). The internal corrosion is rust from the engine block as it has not always had the correct antifreeze solution in it.

The engine block and the *radiator in particular* will be in the same state. I should say, the radiator will be much worse.

As you have got the head out I would remove the valves and clean them and lap them. Then you will probably have to adjust the shims to set the correct clearances.

Your options then are: Refit everything and hope the head gasket seals. Or take to engineering shop and have the head resurfaced and then refit.

I have done both and neither sealed :-(

Are they the same heads? Camshaft should be different but I think the head is also different. I could be wrong tho.

Any head that has stayed on a car for high mileages or has overheated is bound to warp (let alone the corrosion you see), so I am not so sure what you think you will save.

Been where you are, I had a damn good time lapping valves and then trying to reduce the thickness of shims on fine emery paper (my nails too).

but I don't have a replacement for the exhaust

I cannot help you with manifolds, sorry :-(

Good luck Charles

PS. You are doing the whole thing because you are enjoying yourself. Go on, go the full distance. Doing the valves etc. won't cost you any money, just time.

Reply to
Charles C.

Hey Craig, Have you ever looked at this:

It is designed for an 85 16v but maybey it can be dajusted for you 8v? He has a link for any questions.

Reply to
Jeremy Brown

Check your inbox Craig. Cheers

Reply to