The stuff you find on the internet !

Whilst googling for the Jeremy Clarkson video clip abouut Saabs and dentists etc suggested to be found somewhere out there, I came by chance on this little gem...

THE GUINNESS BOOK OF RECORDS FEMALE SECTION

Incorrect Driving

The longest journey completed with the handbrake on was one of 504km (313miles) from Stranraer to Holyhead by Dr. Julie Thorn at the wheel of a Saab 900 on the 2nd April 1987. Dr. Thorn smelled burning two miles into her journey at Aird but pressed on to Holyhead with smoke billowing from the rear wheels. This journey also holds the records for the longest completed journey with the choke fully out and the right indicator flashing.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

in article snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com, Pooh Bear at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 07/07/2005 00:20:

Outstanding! :) More so, given that it is very likely to have been a front wheel handbrake.

Paul

Vart tog vägen vägen? SAAB : Nothing on earth comes close

Reply to
Paul Halliday

That and I'm not aware of the c900 ever having a manual choke - last Saab I can think of with such was in the late '60s.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I believe it's a spoof.

You're right. The choke is a dead giveaway. The story is almost believable until the author 'overdresses' it.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 07/07/2005 15:11:

I looked at a D reg (MY 1987) which was a manual choke single carburettor model. The article did say "smoke billowing from the rear wheels", so must have been the first of the rear-wheel handbrake cars.

Paul

Vart tog vägen vägen? SAAB : Nothing on earth comes close

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Yup my first C900, 1986 non turbo had a manual choke, guess where...yeah you got it, in the centre next to the ignition!

Al

Reply to
Al

Carb, in 1986? Amazing. What country?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Probably UK, they got a lot of carbs long after they were dead over here. I was shocked the first time I heard of a late 80's Volvo with a carb but they have them, even the 700 series.

Reply to
James Sweet

My last carburetted car was an '85 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6. Nice car actually. Drove more like a typical 2.0 than a 1.6. Very swift indeed.

Since then everthing I've owned has had a multi-point injected 2.0 engine.

Carbs certainly continued here into the early 90s. Exhaust emission controls killed them off finally.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I had a 1989 Skoda Estelle (120L to the rest of the world) and a 1992 Skoda Favorit. Both Carbs. Injection didn't become 100% on new cars in the UK until catalytic converters became compulsory on new cars. That was mid 1992.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

"Al" skrev i en meddelelse news:DXgze.6305$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Saab never made at car, where the manual choke was placed by the ignition. They were always placed on the dashboard.

Reply to
Henrik B.

My first 3 900s had manual chokes (single carb and twin carb).

Reply to
Grunff

My first 3 900s all had manual chokes, all down by the ignition. I think I still have the choke handle from one of them.

Reply to
Grunff

"Grunff" skrev i en meddelelse news:42ce531a$0$23915$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

Hmmm, maybe my recollection is off here....?

Reply to
Henrik B.

Either that, or they were never sold in Denmark?

Reply to
Grunff

Parts fiche would tell the story. Pity that the guy who was scanning them in hasn't finished yet.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I've driven my previous Fiat Croma with sticking brakes for a while. I put the hesitation down to an engine problem. As the car lost 'power' I stopped and had a look around. However, the discs were glowing bright red!

Reply to
Johannes

in article 42ce3bee$0$59806$ snipped-for-privacy@dread14.news.tele.dk, Henrik B. at saab@_NOSPAM_tdcadsl.dk wrote on 08/07/2005 09:40:

Well ...... Okay ...... But they did :)

It was directly between the ignition and the gear stick, next to the switch for the interior light on the C900. There's even a picture in the owner's manual from my 1985 900i.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

My Fiat Croma 1987 2.0 CHT had a late innovative carb system. Official consumption figure was 51 mpg! It had a long swirl intake to produce max torque as low as 2400 rpm, good for a non-turbo. However, carbs soon disappeared in favour of fuel injection.

Reply to
Johannes

Carburetted 8v 900's continued until the demise of the 8v motor entirely, outside of the USA. 900GL, GLs, 900c's etc.

The choke control is indeed located on the centre console. For those of us who have owned injected 900's, you will remember a small recess "coin holder" next to the lighting switch in the console. On a carburetted model, this is where the choke control is located.

No C900 had a choke on the dash.

No carburetted C900 had an automatic choke (AFAIK).

Manual chokes are great. Always starts 1st shot. Damn technology!

Reply to
SmaartAasSaabr