Theft Alarm

I have a 2000 95 SE (V6) - it's what we in the states would call a station wagon. Auto has 90k miles. I am original owner, all periodic maintenance done at the dealer.

I just had the 90k mile service performed.

The message center had indicated the alarm needed servicing.

This turned into a replacie the siren - with a part price of US$313.00, plus labor.

In addition I had asked to have a couple of dashboard light bulbs replaced (specifically for the "Econ," the "Off," the "Air Recirculation," and the "Rear Window Defrost" buttons. Initial estimate had been about $50.00. The dealer indicated that changing light bulbs in the center dashboard took a lot of labor, and requotes at $250.00. I declined.

This car has been expensive to service all along. Is this the dealer, or just Saab?

Reply to
Bernie Schmitt

eeeuroparts has the Siren for $281 so $313 is actually a good price from the dealer. WHile that's a lot for a siren, I don't know that it's non-typical for other manufacturers. Nothing is cheap anymore.

The issue is that the dash has to be pulled to replace the lights. The dealer is not very sharp if he didn't realize that right up front. Considering the amount of work, it's not a lot to pay. But, this is bad design on Saab's part. It's somewhat surprising considering their engineering is usually very good with maintenance in mind.

It will cost you more to service any European car in the USA since there are less sold vs. American or Japanese. Dealers charge more for labor on more expensive makes. This is true of all makes - the mechanic who works on a Lexus charges out at a higher rate at the dealer than when he works on a Toyota (same mechanic, same car - stamped "Toyota" in the door frame and sold in Japan as a Toyota).

All cars are expensive to repair these days, and they all have engineering issues (I can tell you some Nissan stories if you like :-). Luxury cars are more expensive, because dealers stick it to you whenever they can.

Reply to
still just me

Incredible that you go to the dealer for "all periodic maintenance". No wonder the high cost.

For a car of that age (2000), most owners would go to the indy and save $$$.

Reply to
ngu

That sounds really crap :o(

The 9-3 of the same year has all the ACC controls in a module that you can just pull out from the front. It's a 5 minute job to change bulbs on that.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Colin:

I may have gotten it wrong - I read his post quickly as dash lights. If they are all on the ACC unit they should be easy to replace. Anything in a switch should just pop right out.

Reply to
still just me