tighten gas cap MESSAGE on dash

Hi everyone.

I've got a 1999 convertible with just over 40k on her. Runs great, looks like a white bullet. Just recently the dash intermittently displays the message "tighten fuel cap". This comes up completely at random.

The only thing I've done is replace the gas cap with a new one (generic).

Any advice?

Thanks, Marty from Sunny South Florida

ps. I've gotten spam bombed and no longer post my correct email on newsgroups. Please reply to this NG.

Reply to
News

So you lost the Saab gas cap? I did the same thing for my 9000 CSE and bought a generic replacement from a petrol station. However, my garage didn't accept it for the MOT and replaced it with the correct part. As far as I remember it wasn't very expensive, maybe £5.

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Johannes,

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't lose my gas cap, I just replaced it because of the message "tighten fuel cap". Is it likely that my gas cap had a problem, and the generic one just doesn't work? This may explain why the message started and now continues.

Has anyone else seen this message on a late model Saab?

Thanks again. Marty

Reply to
News

That was probably the best first step to take to see if that solves the problem. The gasket on the original cap may have become worn and no longer made a proper seal. New cars (in the US) are required to have sensors to make sure the fuel tank is sealed to reduce hydrocarbon emissions from evaporating fuel.

It doesn't matter that it is generic as long as it fits properly and makes a good seal.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T - also with a "generic" gas cap that I inherited from the previous owner.
Reply to
Walt Kienzle