Tire Recommendations; not winter

Well my Dunlop SP8000's have given me their best. And if treadlife weren't a secondary concern (performance and wet-traction are primary concerns), I would certainly buy them again. Anyone care to offer their Summer/All-Season tire experiences and recommendations? Any experience with Continential's ContiSport or ContiExtreme? Looking to buy four 205-50/55 R16 for the '01 9-3SE 5spd. And yes; I've looked through

already. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
J. Harris

I put a set of Conti Extreme's on my wife's car last year. I liked them so much tha tI put another set on my '97 900 vert this year. Extremly quiet, comfortable, good performance, and good in the snow (reasonable, it's not a snow tire).

Check out the user results at tire rack. These tires rock. Look at the chart at the bottom of this page and compare to other tires.

They are also incredibly cheap. Worried me when I ordered the first set. After driving on them, I had no worries.

They only thing I can't tell you about is wear. They have a high gov't rating, but they are too new for much practical experience out there in the field.

Reply to
Bob

I recently put 4 new Michelin HydroEdge tires on my '94 9000 CSE. These are the best tires I have experienced on this car or my previous '90 900SE (I had Dunlop Sport A2, Bridgestone Potenza 910 and Michelin XGT H4). I drove in Ontario during snow, ice, slush and rain. The tires are unbelievable in the wet. Very directional, smooth, responsive and great breaking in the wet. I also like the 85,000 mile treadwear warranty. My only concern is that they are quite firm and transmit road bumps. But on a good road they feel like gliding. Paid about U$ 110 each.

Hope it helps,

LeonB.

Reply to
LeonB

I too bought a set of these, but for a BMW 540iA that I have. The tires have all of the good attributes that you mention and are a bargain, but the set that I got are out of round and give my car the shakes at 55-65 mph. The wheels have been balanced multiple times, but balancing will not fix a tire that is out of round.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

A couple ideas... if you can find a guy with a Hunter machine http:///

you can find out for sure exactly what iswrong (unless you are already sure they are out of round). Also, I don't know how long you've had them... but Conti gives you a

30 day "satisfaction guaranteed" warranty and you can exchange them for four new ones or get another Conti tire if you don't like them for any reason. That said... it usually takes more than 30 days just to find the time to hunt down "out of round" problems, so I expect it's too late for you.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yes, I can see they are out of round by eye by simply rotating the wheels on the car. It's that bad...

You are also right about it being too long. I bought these a good 6 months ago. I don't drive that particular car that many miles. Plus it has a vibrating driveshaft problem that I only recently resolved, which was masking the tire vibration. So I think I am out of luck. Luckily for me, it's not too awful bad. I will probably end up replacing them eventually though, before they even near being worn out...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Fred:

Conti has a one year road hazard warranty in addition to the 30 day trial period warranty. While your problem is not specifically a road hazard, I think that their liberal warranties indicate that they want to make the customer happy. I'd try calling them, explaining the problem, and see if they will help you out. Obviously you didn't cause the tires to be un-round on your own and any tire tech will be able to verify that. If you want I can dig out the 800# for customer service.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Thanks, but I'm sure that I can find it.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.