tire size

Anyone have opinions on changing tire size from recommended 205/50 16 to 205/55 16. I've been told that this is an improvement for my car -

1995 900SE Turbo.

Thanks for replies, Gabe

Reply to
Gabe

It depends on what you consider an improvement. The /55 tires will need slightly less pressure by ~1.5 psi, so you will get a more compliant ride. You could try to temporarily reduce pressure just to see what it would feel like. Then there will be a the problem with running diameter and speedo accuracy and you have to ensure wheel clearance. I don't have a

900 so I haven't tried it, but then I don't expect many have.
Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

In addition to Johannes' comments, a larger overall diameter, which is what you'll achieve, will equate to lower revs at a given speed (which may make motorway cruising more pleasant), and slightly lower 0-60 acceleration.

Reply to
Grunff

This calculator

gives the result:

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

205/50-16 4.0in 12.0in 24.1in 75.6in 838 0.0% 205/55-16 4.4in 12.4in 24.9in 78.2in 811 3.4%

Slightly larger difference than I would expect by guessing.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Just to be clear - when I say lower acceleration I mean your acceleration in m/s^2 will be lower; which means your 0-60 time will be longer.

Reply to
Grunff

And some additional annoyance and clutch wear when starting from a standstill with a manual transmission.

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Thanks for the info, It was very instructive specially the clutch wear issue.

Gabe

Reply to
Gabe

The loss of torque at the wheels when starting in 1'st will be only 3.4%, this is equivalent to loading the car with a dead weight of 46Kg.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Reply to
thegort