Tire sizing for c900

Hello All, Anybody have a list of the tire sizes appropriate for the c900?

I am looking for the best value for tires and I cannot get an exact answer from most online dealers about the size my car uses. If the car is older than 10 years they just don't seem to care- they just give you the default tire or tell you that there are no tires available for the car.

I have an 86 900 T that was upgraded to an SPG, and the local tire shops just give me a blank stare or tell me to just look at the sticker on the visor. They cannot seem to grasp that I had actually upgraded my car...

Any help will do. I believe that the tire size didn't change very much over the life of the c900, that there was different size tires dependant on what model you have. The various web sites will tell you the max size you can get, but not what sizes are appropriate for each year\model.

If we can get enough correct info, I will post a sizing chart on my site.

TY

Reply to
Jeremy Brown

Visit my 1986 Saab 900T & me at:

Really depends on your wheel size. Earlier ones were all 5 or 5.5 x 15, except for the infamous 135 x 390 metric rims that *only* took Michelin's (get a 2nd mortgage) TRX. Later 900s went to 6". Sizes listed for the earlyier ones include 165x15, 180/65x15 and 195/60x15. 205/60x15 are a bit too big on rolling resistance but they *are* usually cheaper in Oz 'cos they fit so many of the local bigger cars, so they're a good budget opiton esp around town! I'm running 195/60 on a set of 5.5 original 3 spoke Aero (same as your SPG?) and also a set of 6.5 x 15 aftermarkets at the moment with no clearance, wear or handling problems at all. Any help? Cheers

Reply to
hippo
2 sizes normally - 185/65x15 on standard cars or 195/60x15 on turbo's. I've used 205/55 also.
Reply to
john

in article oQuUg.4319$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-win.ntli.net, john at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 03/10/2006 15:54:

205/55 can happily fit on the 5.5" width 15" rims. I think the 6.5" and 7.0" rims really need a 205/55 ratio, but 195/60 is fine for both 5.5" and 6.0" width wheels.

Most C900 wheels were 5.5, but some specials did get 6.5" and 7.0" rims. The

6.0" rims from the 9000 are a nice improvement for the C900.

More info on wheel sizes? Check this guy's website:

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

195/60-R15's are the generic size for a classic 900 which has 15" diameter wheels. My 1983 900S which has 15" black shelby's has a set of Hankook K406's on the wheels. Really nice tyres - cost about A$125 each to purchase including fitting. If you can only get 195/65's they'd probably be fine too

- the car will be a teensy bit higher off the road.

If you have 16" wheels, be careful to match the overall diameter of the tyres with what you have already as the speedo ratio is based on wheels tyres providing a particular 'average' wheel diameter on the road so the measurement is correct. The aspect ratio ('height' of the tyre compared against the 'tread' width) would need to be around 50 or 55, depending on the tyre width you choose.

Most wheels for c900's are 5.5" wide, though some of the earlier wheels like soccerballs, etc. are 5".

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site