tired plastic? / broken filler cap & two sun visors - 9000

Hi all

we have a ca 1989 9000, in the last week

the filler cap (green for unleaded) has fractured around the periphery of the black cap at the widest section (& it hasn't been dropped)

& I pulled the sun visor down & it went click & is now floppy ie it will not lock up. I replaced it with a good one of same age which was to hand & exactly the same thing happened (this isn't me being too strong I'm a 9stone weakling!)

Anyone else have this happen to them?

I find I can pull the visor off the chrome plated rod & see the rod has flats on it, has anyone looked inside the visor to see if there's a plastic clip that breaks?

Regards: Frank

Reply to
Frank Sweeting

Just about *everyone* with an old 9k has experienced this, including me.

A steel spring, actually. You can try to fix it, but you'll only end up tearing hair out. Find a good replacement, or use a bit of velcro to hold the visor in place.

Reply to
Grunff

Hi,

my hint : instead of removing just the visor "blade" and pushing on another one, take off the whole thing including the rod fixed with 2 screws, and replace the whole unit, i think that sliding a new visor blade on and off makes this "falling visor" problem worse. (maybe because this orange plastic foam inside isnt as strong anymore after say

10 years and just gives way to the metal plate and spring that is supposed to hold the metal rod at the slits and doesnt correctly lock in anymore then)

bye

simon

Reply to
Simon Putz