Too much oil in the block?

Hi, I recently noticed some oil drops below my '86 900 (8v) manual hatch. This is unusual since after the initial drips after an oil change, I have never seen any further oil. I looked at the dip stick and noticed the level was over an inch above the MAX indicator. Is this ok? Could it be the reason for the drips? THanks

--Paul

Reply to
P K

"P K" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@news.isp.giganews.com...

THIS I NOT OKAY!!! You have to removed the exessive oil right away, it can ruin your engine. And yes, might very well be the reason for dripping.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

I have experienced (in the past) that garages often overfill at service, then put a 5L jug on the bill. However, I do oil changes myself these days.

Reply to
Johannes

Yes, if that's all oil. What's the color and texture? Any unusual smells (gasoline or coolant) in the oil? If it was just overfilled, then yes that could cause a leak somewhere. If it wasn't overfilled and the sump is filling with something other than oil, then you have a problem.

An inch high on a sump that size is rather a lot of liquid, I think it'd be more than a quart. Anyone?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

how can excess oil (filling w/5 qts instead of 4.2) ruin the engine?

(I'm not challenging your statement, but wish to know the basis for it for my own education)

Reply to
Mac Townsend

Actually - excess oil in the block can lead to all kinds of seal leak and bearing surface problems (not that I'm the OP on the above, but ask me how I know, as they say).

Basically - the oil system on any engine is a careful balance between a known viscosity at a known pressure at a given volume of oil. Overfilling seriously stresses the rubber and bearing clearance calculations at cruising RPM.

It seems to me most likely that whoever changed the oil didn't completely empty the block (say the car wasn't level) or just overfilled it (assuming all other things being equal). If the block was run cold and carrying a lot of oil in the galleries and head - you sometimes end up with a half litre in the system that doesn't drop. I actually run the car to fan start and pull the breather on changes now, just in case.

The best thing to do it get a cheap turkey baster and a length of hose and pull out what you need to get it right. Measure it, make note of the mileage since the last change and see if it repeats. If it does, you probably need to look at rings or venting. If it doesn't - be more careful about oil changes down the road.

It would be a long shot - but if your filter was somehow out of the circuit or your pump had failed completely - you could end up about 1/2 litre proud - but I've never heard of anyone managing to drive more than a few miles in either situation yet. Stunningly tough blocks though they be.

Happy motoring.

Reply to
Dexter J

(OP) Yikes, I'll check these things out pronto. Thanks all!

--Paul

Reply to
P K

Well I took it back to the place that I get my oil changes. They drained the oil and refilled it with the recomended 4 quarts (US). The dip stick still shows over the MAX line, but not as much as before. The mechanic also noticed the drips were comming from my trans, not the block. Any further comments (I fear the worst)?

--Paul

Reply to
P K

Well I had the car back to the service station and the mechanic drained the oil and re-filled with exactly 4 quarts. The dip sticj still showed about an inch over the MAX line. They had no advice for me. I thought maybe sludge in the pan. Then I thought a clogged filter. So to thest the latter I want to replace the oil filter. But can I do it without draining the oil? It is high up on the block, I'd like to try it before dropping the pan or some other investigation. Thanks

--Paul

Reply to
P K

You will never get all the old oil out. Best thing is to to drain, gradually add oil until it shows max on the stick after being allowed to settle for a minute or two.

Once it shows max, run it for a few minutes and then check level after the filter and oil ways have filled. Let it drain back for 5 minutes, check the level again, add if needed.

Never go with adding a set ammount of oil, because that is what the book says the capacity is. It will usually list several quantities, dry fill (new, never filled engine), drain and fill, and drain and fill with filter. usually even then it will be slightly over what you need.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I think the "official" capacity is 4.2 quarts (or was that litres?). I don't have the book on hand to check. But after I drain it, adding 4 quarts seems to get me right up to max, or at least not more than a hair above it.

Regarding the oil filter: I find that even after the oil is drained, a fair bit of oil still comes out (mostly onto my hands) when I unscrew the filter.

John

Reply to
John B