Trailer Hitch on 2004 9-3 Aero

After trying the roof mounted bike racks a couple times, it seems that the trailer hitch mounted carrier is a better setup. How easy is it to mount the trailer hitch on an Aero (rear bumper skirt)? The catalog says "dealer installation recommended," but is it something I can do myself in a couple hours? I have jacks and ramps and tools and probably whatever else I need to get the job done. Also, I have the park assist. Will that cause problems? Obviously it won't work too well with a bunch of bikes sitting in front of the sensors, but I don't know if it's something I need to worry about.

Also, does anyone know if you can return stuff to a dealer if you bought it through the catalog? I'd rather not pay to ship the stuff back if I can just make a trip to the dealer and do a swap.

Thanks.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

Hi there!

I was also looking into buying a tow-bar for my Aero. I've looked everywhere for a non-Saab possibility and it looks like the only option I have is to go to Saab. I must say though, the price they are asking here in Germany is quite good. It actually costs less than half what the previous 9-3 tow-bar cost! (approx. 700,- Euros including the certificate needed by German law.)

It's probably for the best, as I understand that part of the skirt has to be cut out and the park assist is modified somehow when a trailer is connected (not so sure about a bike-mount though). As long as you only drive forwards, the system doesn't work anyway ;-)

Hope I haven't discouraged you too much. if you know what you're doing, then it shouldn't really be a problem. Why not just ask your local - or not so local - Saab dealer. Can't hurt and maybe they will mention something you would never have thought about. Same thing goes for the stuff you bought. Asking can't hurt . . .

Have lots of fun driving your Aero :-)

Steve

Reply to
Karl Schmittt

I installed the Saab tow-bar successfully last week. I searched around and couldn't find any other options for the new Saabs. 212 US dollars for the hitch, which isn't too bad. The dealer wanted another 300 to 500 to install it. 85 to 105 bucks per hour depending on the dealer and they al said about 3 hours minimum installation time. My father and I managed to get it installed with no problems in about a half an hour.

Yup, the skirt has to be cut. There's a small section in the right at the end of the skirt in middle, underneath the car. The cut I made was a little too big, but it still came out pretty good. The lines that the instructions tell you to follow with the cut are very faint and we couldn't see them until we examined the cut-out piece under better light. Take a close look before you make your cut if you end up installing it yourself.

I'm not a fan of the parts people at my dealer. I wanted to change my oil at 3000 miles so I called the dealer to see if they could give me a part number for the oil filter. At the time, the only part numbers I could find online were for the 2004 Arc. Even though it's the same engine, I wanted to be sure it was the same filter. Anyway, the dealer said they wouldn't give me the information because they didn't want to give their business to someone else. On one hand, I understand their position. On the other, I'm pissed that they couldn't give me the part number for a 5 dollar filter when I just spent over 30000 on a car.

I decided to give them a second chance when I was looking at bike racks. When I bought the car, they said they might be able to work out a deal if I bought the racks and carriers as a package. I called them up and asked about some kind of package deal. The guy I talked to wasn't interested in giving me any prices, so I hung up and ordered the stuff from Saab USA instead, had it the next day, and paid about the same for shipping as I would have for tax. I bought the hitch from the dealer only because they had a 10% special.

This is Central Saab in Norwood, Massachusetts, by the way. I really liked my salesman and the service people seemed nice when I was in for my

30 day check up. The parts people are kind of annoying though.

So far so good.

Reply to
Shane Almeida

I have an idea... why not just *buy* the first filter from the dealership instead of

*demanding* free information? Yes it will be a few dollars more than the online places, but: a) if you go to the dealership and pick it up you will save the shipping cost b) you will have the correct part number (on the box and paperwork) for future reference. c) you will have maintained your dignity at the dealership and won't have come across as a PITA tight wad.

Besides, why would you change your oil at 3000 miles? It isn't called for by the manufacturer and really isn't necessary.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Because the dealer is an hour away and the parts store I go to is 10 minutes away. There are no shipping charges involved.

The dealer will most likely give me a Saab filter, which the parts store doesn't stock. I was looking for a Fram, Purolator, or similar generic filter. I wanted a third party filter that I could pick up at my parts store.

There are way betters ways to earn and maintain dignity than putting up with a dealer that isn't interested in helping a customer. My next question after "what's the part number" would have been "how much do you charge for those filters?" If the price was fair, even if it was more than what I would pay elsewhere, I probably would have stopped in to pick up a couple filters the next time I was in the area. He wasn't interested in helping me, only in taking my money. I understand his position, but I'd rather take my money to someone will is just as interested in helping me as they are in taking my money.

Why not? The only reason not to change the oil is time and money. Oil and filters are cheap and it takes only a short amount of time to change. It never hurts to take extra good care of your car. Also, my commute is very short, so my engine doesn't have a chance to really warm up. We've always changed oil religiously in my house. My last car had its oil changed at 125, 250, 500, 1000, and 2000 miles and then every 2000 miles after that for 18 years until I got rid of it and got my Saab.

Also, the manufacturer doesn't always recommend what's best. The Passat and Audi 1.8T engines are the same. Audi covers oil changes in the warranty at 10000 mile intervals. VW doesn't cover oil changes and recommends a 5000 mile interval. Same engine, same oil, but Audi doesn't want to pay for twice as many oil changes. Do you think Saab would recommend a 15000 mile interval if it wasn't covered under the free maintanence?

Reply to
Shane Almeida

In that case, ask the guy at the parts counter of the parts store.

The only part number the dealer would have given you is a SAAB one. The don't use aftermarkeyt filters in their shops. Please, refrain from using Fram filters. You'd be far better off not changing the oil at all than putting one of those in there. "Friends don't let friends use Fram" ;-) Purolator's are fine though. I buy either these or the OEMs for my SAABs.

8< 8< 8< 8<

Well, that and you are supposed to allow the rings to seat before you change the oil.

Well in your new SAAB, you'll go broke if you follow that zealous schedule. Your car calls for full synthetic oil.

Probably not, but 5000 miles is a far more reasonable number than 500 or

2000.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

2004 9-3 Aero's don't exist in all the parts catalogs. Most list the non-existent Vector instead. When I was looking, the catalog listed the Vector but didn't list any parts for it. I stopped in again today and this time they had the Fram CH9018 listed for the Vector.

I figured they might be able to suggest a compatible after-market filter. That's all I was really asking of them. Is Fram really that bad?

If brand new oil is okay at 0 miles, why wouldn't it also be okay at 3000 miles? How long does it take for the rings to seat?

Mobil 1 0W-30. I've always use fully synthetic. It'll cost me less than

200 bucks and 2.5 hours a year to change my oil every 3000 miles. That's not much at all.

I never said I was reasonable ;)

Reply to
Shane Almeida

From Purolator's web site:

2004 - SAAB - 9-5 Aero

4 cyl. 2.3L F.I. H.O. Turbo PL10241

SEARCH RESULTS

OIL L10241

AIR A25358

FUEL F64857

BREATHER N/R

PCV N/R

You decide:

I'm not sure that this is really valid , and perhaps should not have said it. I have heard this, but can not verify it's truth one way or another.

Years ago, when I bought my '90 SAAB 900 new, it came filled with some special break-in oil which was supposed to be changed precisely at XXX miles. Of course that first oil change was free, which may just hgave been a way for the dealership to get you into their shop thje first time and set-up a running maintenance schedule.

Sounds like you plan on doing all of your own maintenance? Or just the added oil changes not called for by SAAB?

Sounds like your passionate about your maintenance, and while I still believe 3k mile oil changes really are is not needed, I respect your passion far more so than the guy who waits too long.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.