Troubling signs on garage floor.

My 99 95 leaves three different fluid spots that concern me. I would appreciate any help identifying these spots.

Spot 1: Bright green collant that appears intermittently. Amount ranges from 2-4 tablespoons and is located near the right side of the car, about the middle of the engine. I keep having to refill the coolant reservoir every 3-4 weeks. Water pump?

Spot 2: Pretty good oil spot located at the left rear of the engine. When we got the car, the interior had a funny oily kind of smell (still does) and when I asked what was causing the smell, the dealer said it was an oil leak associated with the CV system. I've noticed from searching the discussion groups that there was(is) a problem with this CV system. Do I need to replace these components and if so, can I find them online versus buying at the dealer? Is there a complete replacement kit available?

Spot 3: The air conditioner usually leaves a pool of water from it's drain. One day (it's only happened once) there was a puddle of rusty water on the floor. Is this a sign of future problems? Does this car hava a history of AC drain pan rusting or failure? Could the smell in spot 2 be from the AC system having problems?

Thanks again for any response.

Reply to
Peter Kemp

A common problem unique to 1999 models are loose banjo fittings on the coolent lines from the automatic transmission to the radiator. Apparently they were not torqued properly during assembly. This results in small amouts of coolent dripping near the right front wheel. Usually adding an eighth of a turn to the bolts takes care of the problem. If not, then the copper washers have to be replaced. The catch is that to get at the lower banjo one has to remove the fan assembly. This looks straightforward but there is a hidden screw on a clip that holds the lines to the bottom of the plastic fan assembly. Once this screw is removed it is fairly obvious how to unbolt and pull out the assembly.

I can't be of help with the other two problems. The AC thing does not sound serious I don't think there is anything in there to rust and I don't know what a CV system is.

We love our 1999 9-5. It has been relatively trouble free and get great milage. Good luck.

Reply to
R. Frist

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like this is more of an anoyance than something to lose sleep over. The discharge is occasional and not an everday thing so I'll put that at the bottome of my list.

Sorry for the abbreviation. The CV was referig to the crankcase ventilation system. A few days ago I replaced the grommet and adaptor that connects the hoses to valve cover and discovered that the large hose i was connecting was pretty much mush. Looks like I may have to replace all those hose in the system. As a matter of fact, it looks like a lot of the hoses under the hood have become brittle and could probably use replacement.

I would love to find an internet parts site that carries the more obscure parts for the car. If you -- or nayone -- know of a great parts site, pleas let me know. Most of the sites I've found only carry the more common parts.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Dennis Caldwell

If the leak is coming from the banjo fittings it will gradually get worse. You can see each fitting with a flashlight and if there is coolent stains on one or both that is the problem. The upper one you can reach with a box wrench without removing anything.

The crankcase ventillation grommet seems to be perennial problem in all Saabs. When I have had to replace one I always buy and extra that sooner or later will finds use in one of the family's three cars.

Check out

and
for most all new parts. The 9/5 forum at
should have various sources for used and special parts as well as good advice.

Good hunting.

Reply to
rhfrist