Turbo noise

It is possible to get more noise from my turbo? Like the PPPSSSSSHHHHHH noise, that everybody loves? I read something about a silencer but I don't think I have that engine.

1999 Saab 9-3 SE
Reply to
9-3Turbo

I think the noise your referring to is from an after market dump value, that release air to the atmosphere. Very easy to fit.

No, not the dump valve, I want to here more of the turbo boost but the PPPPLLLLUUPP noise haha, the PSSHHHHHHH haha

Reply to
9-3Turbo

No, not the dump valve, I want to here more of the turbo boost not the

Reply to
9-3Turbo

So Max, what is the baffle thing I might look into that. Have you done it?

Reply to
9-3Turbo

There should be a baffle thing in the exhaust apres the turbo.

9-3Turbo wrote:
Reply to
Max

in article O1Ifc.23221$XP2.7832@lakeread06, 9-3Turbo at snipped-for-privacy@UP.URS wrote on 16/04/2004 04:03:

PLUP? PSHH? My classic 900 kind of makes those noises :)

If you want more whine (the high pitched jet engine noise), remove the turbo silencer. If you want more exhaust burble (the TVR kind of noise), then you'll need a different engine alignment!

I bet you'll find what you're looking for here:

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

I haven't removed it personally, since I don't own one of these cars (I will in a couple years, but the classic 900 can suffice for now) anyway, remove the downpipe from the turbo. You will see this thing stuffed in there, it is a sort of cylinder with raised parts of it, known as "turbocharger silencer" or turbo baffle.

9-3Turbo wrote:

Reply to
Max

There is one way to hear more turbo noise - put on the optional sport exhaust system that was once standard on the Classic 900s. You can also drive through an underground concrete parking garage. The concrete walls, floor and ceiling echoes the engine sound nicely :-) The floors are usually slick enough to easily squeal the tires.

9-3Turbo wrote:

Reply to
ma_twain

Put on a aftermarket turbo from a detroit series 60 or cat engine.Be very careful it may blow your cylinder heads off LOL.

Reply to
BIGDETROITD

Don't worry, with all that mass to get rotating, the lag would prevent it from ever getting up to speed. Er, "LOL", that is.

Reply to
Dave Hinz