Turbo Problem?

I'm looking into buying an old 900 turbo (for some nostalgia) & have found what I think is a relatively good one, but the only thing that puts me off is that I discovered what I think is an oily residue on the end of the exhaust pipe (a black liquid with the consistency of water). Is likely to be the turbo bearings on their way out, something more serious with the engine or nothing to worry about? The car drives really well, the boost is fine & there doesn't seem to be any undue sounds coming from the engine,

tia,

kds :-)

Reply to
kingdoodlesquat

Sounds like soot and water to me. Both normal by-products of burning petrol. Have a look at the tail-pipe of another car that's recently been started from cold and check if that has the same stuff.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Cheers Colin, I'd had similar thoughts, but you can never be too careful!

Reply to
kingdoodlesquat