Turn the "Shift up" light off?

I own a '99 Saab 9-5 (4cyl manual). I fell in love with in a year ago, bought it used from the dealership. But like any good love story, theres always something. In this case, its the "shift up" light.

Its a two part question, really.

1) How does it decide you should "shift up"? I couldn't find anything on this, and it definately lights up at times that would be inopportune to shift up (i.e. i lay off the gas a little in a hilly section of NY, where i drive). The best i can tell is a very simple calculation of RPM and applied fuel.

2) Is there a (free) way to turn this off? Of course, I'd like to not fork over money to the dealer for something so trivial, but after a year, its really starting to get on my nerves!

Thanks, Brenden

Reply to
Brenden Conte

It's always the pretty ones brother Brendon..

I'm not sure how the speakers are arranged in the 95 - but - I have made some 'adjustments' to the system lights in the dash by removing the speaker, then popping out the bulb with some forceps.. You have to be careful not to disconnect anything else and you want to get the bulb out and put the socket back in to avoid a short back there..

Of course, in the 95 - I have no idea if you get away with this without generating a fault code somewhere..

Reply to
Dexter J

Absolutely correct. The shift light comes on when engine speed is above approx 2k rpm and engine load (measured by injector open time) falls below a preset value. Its trying to tell you you could achieve better economy in a higher gear, but it cannot predict the oncoming terrain.

Reply to
Adrian England

Well, the front left speaker is actually flush with the windshield and frame bar, so even if i did get that speaker out, i'm not sure if i could contort my arm to (safely) reach in there. I sure wouldn't be able to see.

The center speaker might work, although its farther away (1-1.5 feet) from the dash. That will probably be the route i take, since it would be much easier to work with.

...and i'll just hope it doesn't generate one (or, at least not a visible one on the console/dash). I think i can live with that specific one in an 'out of sight out of mind' way.

-Brenden

Reply to
Brenden Conte

That's exactly it. The shift points will always seem inappropriate for someone accustomed to the "sports habit" of driving, but are generally correct for optimal fuel economy. Which is to say, slow, long, low acceleration.

900s have a clearly marked relay. i'm sure about the 9-5s.

lycka till! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

Yea, i made a round trip for a family birthday today (2 hours each way), and made special note of the light. One prime example was it telling me to shift to 5th going

Reply to
Brenden Conte

Why not just pull the lightbulb from the instrument cluster?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Ah, that story has a familiar ring to it. I'm in exactly the same position with a '99 9-5 Wagon that I bought used last year as a replacement for a 9-year old Jeep Grand Cherokee. Love the car...although not quite as much as my Lightening Blue 2000 9-3 Viggen Coupé :) But the one thing that really gets on my nerves with the 9-5 is the "Change Up" light.

I looked in the owners manual to see if it was perhaps on a separate relay that I could pull. No luck.

Then I asked my dealer about it, and the story there is that they'd have to almost completely dismantle the dashboard to get at the bulb. (Who knows how much that would cost to replace a blown bulb.) Anyway, after hearing that I decided that I'd just have to live with it until the bulb does eventually die...and then make sure that the dealer doesn't replace it!

Of course, we could always consider putting a small piece of masking tape over it until it does eventually die...

Cheers, Conrad

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Reply to
Conrad Whittall

The "Shift up" light state is controlled by the Trionic 7 software. A message to turn it on or off is sent from Trionic 7 to the MIU (Main Instrument Unit) over the drive train CAN bus. There is therefore no separate cable to cut, or relay to pull, like it was in older cars with less electronics integration.

To turn off the "Shift up" light the dealer should connect the Tech-II test computer to the diagnostics connector, navigate to the Engine Trionic menu, and disable the shift up light. The software revision of the Tech-II software must be 3.7 or later.

Some dealers will refuse to disable the shift up light. They will say that the US EPA mandates that the shift up light must be enabled. This is not true.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Even if that were true, I live in Canada :)

I'll suggest this next time I visit the dealership here in Ottawa.

Reply to
Conrad Whittall

1) you are right, the calculation is just engine speed and throttle position, it's a stupid calculation. 2) i turned mine off (in a '87 saab 900) just by pulling the fuse. in the fuse panel is a fuse labeled 'shift light' or something like that. i just took that out and all is well.

mike

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

I have been waiting for it. around here we use ellectrical tepe and "THE BLACK TAPE SOLUTION" is a well known "answer"any problems.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm