Two SAAB family again?

Oh boy! I have said in the past that the way to ruin is not through drink, or loose women, but by owning more than one SAAB :)

I picked my car up from my mechanics this evening, following a mini-service, and my wife took a particular liking to a shabby black C900 convertible that they have tucked away in the corner ready for doing up. The car was imported from Singapore a few years ago, so has not suffered the relentless winters of road salt that we get here in the UK and they're going to fit an Aero body kit, give it a re-spray and damn good "doing up". The price seemed right, for the finished job, so I think we're going to have to buy it.

She's talked about nothing else and even named it :)

I'll have to ring tomorrow and give a more solid confirmation. They said they'd give us first refusal, anyway ...

Ho-hum! Back to no money and two SAABs ... Bliss!!!

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Congratulations Paul, sorry Debs!

We've been running two (of various flavours) for 4 years now, and I can confirm your thoughts. It doesn't help we've got a couple of ankle biters too!!

Obviously if times were tough I'd get rid of the Saabs first...

Al

Reply to
Al

well what did she name it?

rod

Reply to
Rod H

in article RpfOh.183539$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Al at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 27/03/2007 21:47:

Think of my reputation! A black car and a 16V at that! Urgh! It's definitely hers :)

Nah, I think it will be loads of fun. It's an auto, but if that gets too problematic, we'll swap the box out for a manual.

This is when we had two ... Happy days :) Happy, impoverished days :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article 7GNOh.102489$S% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe06.phx, Rod H at snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote on 28/03/2007 01:10:

Tabitha, since you asked :) I'm not sure the car has a feline character, apart from being black and we have some black cats ... But she likes the name.

Here's some pictures I got today:

... Before the re-spray and the Aero kit fitting.

It was very damp and wet today, so a good test for the convertible roof. It was absolutely bone dry inside.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

what year is tabitha? I have a boss that sez he wants a saab just like mine. but it has to be a convertible. I don't know if I have seen a 1985 convertible. (there is not that many cars of my era driving around in my neck of the woods). does anyone know the history of saab convertible. I know that for a while there were no american companys producing convertible. I thought it was in the 80's.

rod

Reply to
Rod H

Rod, you just managed to inadvertently ask exactly the right guy! Over to you Paul!

Al

Reply to
Al

in article 5ShPh.114089$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.phx, Rod H at snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote on 31/03/2007 01:23:

I take it that your drive a 1985 model? "Tabitha" is a 1992 model year, BTW.

Okay ... Here goes ...

Before the SAAB 900 convertible existed, Lynx Engineering (based in the UK) built two conversions; a red one and a blue one. I know the whereabouts of the blue one, but the red one continues to elude me.

Inspired, SAAB cooked up a production model convertible:

These "flat nose" convertibles are rare ... Very rare. I have seen one or two come up on eBay now and again, but don't expect to find one easily. That said, they were in full production from late 1986, so finding one of the early ones and retro-fitting a flat front - headlamps, grille, bumpers, side stripes - would give the same effect.

I have seen an odd looking convertible that had the flat front bumpers and side stripes fitted, but the sloped headlamps were left on. That was a custom job and actually it looked pretty sharp.

Where are you from? Certain markets got particularly desirable convertibles, as special editions.

Springtime in Sweden (1988) US Market:

Monte Carlo (1991) US ... The European Markets:

900S Aero (1993) UK Market (part of "The Classic Collection):

900 T16S Aero (1993) UK Market (again, part of "The Classic Collection"):

Commemorative Edition (CET) (1994) US Market:

1994 was the final model year for the classic 900 convertible. It overran the production of the hard top by one year, while the new GM/SAAB 900 convertible was prepared.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

in article C2343290.7E3B% snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk, Paul Halliday at snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 31/03/2007 15:45:

Oh duh! Yes ... Valmet cooked up the prototype for SAAB, who put it into production. I have yet to write the page for Valmet's contribution to the classic 900, but in the meantime:

... at the little Valmet museum in Finland. They made up a full C900 limousine (as distinct from the CD model) and experimented with a twin B202 engine V8 ... And ... A 1600CC B201 (8V) engine!!!

There's also some talk of a Dutch edition, known as the "Royal Viking", but I have yet to confirm that one. I think it was a dealer edition:

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday