UK Speed bump problem

Further problems. Curses.

I ws out in Manchester at the weekend, and came across some high, sharp angled speed bumps. Although only driving at about 10 mph, I heard a loud scraping followed by a bump, and found that one of them had relieved me of my exhaust - it had pulled the back section away from the rest.

Do I have any recompense with the City Council?

TIA,

Alex

Reply to
Alex Veitch

Very unlikely, but it would be worth asking the question on uk.legal.

Reply to
Grunff

I had the same problem at the Whitecity retail park. Wasn't there by any chance was it?

Same sort of speedbumps caused this problem at Asda Westbrook Warrington, and Oakwood Gate Service station Oakwod, Warrington.

Small narrow sharp edged plastic ones.

They didn't go as far as seperating the exhaust, but they did remove it form the hangers a few times.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

The speed you were driving is neither here or there since it will be difficult to prove and besides speed bumps are supposed to have some effect on your car to slow you down.

However, there was an interesting article in Auto Express a while time ago; Try to look at their web site and search for 'speed bumps'. The speed bumps must conform to certain specifications, maximum angle, height etc. and people have successfully sued local Councils. So if the bump was too sharply angled, you might well have a case.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Speed bumps, what a worthless invention, myself as well as most people I know usually speed up rather than slow down, yeah it's harder on the suspension but easier on my butt. Some of them are so sharp edged that I drive around them whenever possible to avoid bending a rim.

Reply to
James Sweet

You might have. Go back with a camera, a tape measure and some form of straight-edge to measure the height and the angle of the ramp. These things have to be within set dimensions, and they're designed to be driven over at 18mph according to a recent motoring program (Top/5th Gear, can't remember) and fit within the wheels of a 'standard' bus axle, whatever that might be!

Reply to
Phil

I remember a case where someone was suing the council for failing to maintain the road free of obstacles, or something like that.

They do have guidelines for humps, see if they're out of spec.

I just got a parking ticket cancelled because of the lack of terminating end bar, the regs say that there should be an end bar and under the section "permitted variations: NONE" said it all.

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor