uneven brake pad wear

I have a 1997 9000 Aero and find that I have very uneven brake pad wear on the front end. The driver side pads were getting close to metal on metal while the passenger side still had good life left in them. I don't think the brake pressure equalizer device (not sure of the actual name, it's the 3"x3" device through which all brake lines pass before going off to the slave cylinders) is adjustable. Is it? What else should I be looking for? I replaced pads and rotors and noticed nothing out of the ordinary with the calipers. The pistons moved smoothly when I applied pressure to get the calipers free. Nothing seemed to be binding. Any suggestions about what might be going on?

While doing the brake job I also notice that the tires are wearing out on the inside edges much more quickly than across the rest of the tread. I think that means I have excessive toe-out, something that can be corrected with a good alignment. Agreed?

Thanks.

Reply to
mdb

Uneven pad wear can be caused by badly worn discs ( rotors ) or caliper problems

- such as a sticky piston.

Since you've changed the discs, the calipers seem to be the next most likely candidate. Maybe a worn wheel bearing could affect this too but that would be readily identifiable.

Yes, you need a wheel alignment. Not expensive. Wheel alignment can be knocked out quite easily - for example by 'kerbing' the car.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I had the same symptom on my 94cs a few years ago. Turned out the passenger side piston on the caliper was rusted and does not retract. Replacing the caliper did it.

Reply to
yaofeng