update on lower boost than normal (was heatsoak)

Thanks Grunff.

Had a look, haven't checked any of Toms suggestions (they are next). Had a quick look at foil spiral hose that feeds the cone filter. It had become detached at the bottom from the filter heatshield.So the filter was sucking warm air in, also the foil had split on the underside too, so that would be sucking air in too. Wrapped it in Gaffer tape for now, until I can sort out a stronger solution.

Took it out for a test run and let it warm up. Instead of peaking at 3/4 and dropping back to 2/3 as it was doing for the last for days, or peaking at just under red, and dropping back to

3/4 as it was doing during the colder weather, it now peaks and holds at 3/4 yellow. Definatly an improvement. Now it is time to follow a few of Toms tips for testing, and see if I can set up the base boost, and get it to sit at just under red.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

:-)

Reply to
Grunff

Went out and bought a boost gauge today. Just a cheap TIM one (1 bar limit). Hooked it up and went for spin. Unfortunatley after getting it home, and after the shop shut, I noticed that the needle sits at .3 bar with the engine off (did it in the box). So that is going back tommorow. However, compensating for the fact that it is overreading, in 2nd, 3rd and 4th on a dual carriageway bridge we have nearby, I had it go past 1 bar, and back off to just on 1 bar.

I guess with the .3 bar over read, then I'm getting .7bar steady max boost. Any idea what max boost should be with the APC hooked up?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hehe...

I have the cheapo Gunson hi-lo (~£12), and that's pretty handy.

12-13psi. Base boost should be 6psi.
Reply to
Grunff

Or to keep to bars:

12-13psi (0.8-0.9 bar). Base boost should be 6psi (0.4 bar).
Reply to
Grunff

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Ok, found on the Saabsite.com

85-on .35 +/- .03 Bar (5.5 psi)

With the APC solenoid disonnected I'm getting roughly .4bar, and with it connected roughly .7 (allowing for the miss reading boost gauge needle). So maybe it is boosting within normal tolerances, just the built in boast gauge is showing low (I t-ed into the same line).

All I need to do now is work out where I am going to permanentley mount the gauge pod.

ATM, I have it on sticky pads, with the hose pushed up through the dash vent, but it leaves a clear trailing hose which I don't like. So i may have to drill the dash.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

OK, today I swapped the shagged gauge to one that actually sits at 0 when the engine is off. Guys at the shop said they had never seen that before.

Didn't find anywhere to wire in the back light yet, but seeing the boost guage isn't so important as watching the road at night, so I can do that later.

Hopefully I can get a decent boost read tommorow, on the way to or from work.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Got a peak read, but not as good as I would like. Only getting peak and hold or .6 bar (about 8.7 PSI) in 3rd and 4th, traffic was a bit busy to get it going hard in 5th even for a short burst. Damn, that isn't good.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Does that correspond to orange/red on the car's gauge? If so, there's something wrong with the car's gauge!

What's base boost set at?

Reply to
Grunff

Haven't checked base boost yet. But that equates to 2/3rd orange on the stock gauge, or orange/red border on the new 1 bar gauge.

Doesn't peak and drop which suggests the wastegate isn't opening to back off boost. I've checked that the APC solenoid clicks when you plug and unplug it with the engine running, and that works fine.

I wonder if it is time to clean and drain the intake pipes and intercooler wonder if the IC is filling with oil? Have I read somewhere that there is a drain plug on the bottom of the intercooler (original all alloy SMIC) for flushing?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I don't remember that - but doesn't mean it's not there! Last time I had the IC out I hooked it up to a blower for 20 minutes. Much gunk came out.

Reply to
Grunff

Thats what I'm thinking. Might not be related to my problem, but it can't hurt to give it a clean.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo