valve lifters

Hi when i start my car (1990 saab 9000 cd 2.0 turbo) in the morning there is a loud tapping sound coming from the valve cover for like 1 to

2 minutes then it stops i think its one of the valve lifters so i got 4 Questions.

1 is there a ez way to determine exactly witch lifter it is?

2 will it hurt the motor if i keep on driving it like this?

3 will the lifters of my 1992 saab 9000 cd 2.3 turbo (parts car) fit my

1990?

4 and when i have the valve cover off is there things i should look for?

THANX

Reply to
es

You will hear the valve noise until the oil starts to circulate. This is mentioned in owners manual. If the noise disappears within 1 or 2 minutes, then don't worry. Keep the oil level just below max on the dipstick.

Reply to
Johannes

To my knowledge the lifters are the same on both the 2.0 and 2.3 engine. If you stick a flat blade screw driver onto the lifter, you should not get a spongy feel. It should be solid. Replace the spongy feel lifters.

But like the previous OP said, it is perfectly normal to have noisy lifters upon engine startup. It takes time for the oil to flow into the lifter's oil chamber which has drained via gravity when the engine is shut down. As long as the lifters quiet down after a few minutes, there is nothing to worry about.

Reply to
yaofeng

...and make sure that you use the correct weight oil for the temperature(s).

Reply to
Malt_Hound