VERY CURIOUS) whats up with the fixed torque rating on the 9-3

Hey, I was going through some specifications of 9-3 engines. The 185 hp Automatic has a max torque of 184.4 ft.lb. Its pretty inpressive. I have the 2002 version 205 horsepower auotmatic. To my surpirse, the torque rating is exactly the same in the 184 horsepower version in comparison to my 205 horsepower version. Whats up with this? I notice that the manuals support a 12.5ft.lb. addittion from the 184 horse to the 205 horse. I would not mind the 12.5ft.lb. adition to my automatic...to get my 184ft.lb somewhere near 200ft.lb of torque. Can anything be done to tune the torque up a bit, or is their a reason why Saab did this to my precious torque.

Reply to
SPL

This was done so that the automatic remains functional. The auto cannot reliably handle that much torque and live for the length of the warranty.

KeithG

SPL wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

I am not familiar with the ratings of such arcane engines since I must contenrt myself with my elderly "Sven" who will be 12 next birthday (92 9000S) of course that's in Saab years, but you say nothing about the engine being governed or at what RPM these ratings occur. Torque rises to a maximum as engine revs increase and the starts to fall off. I believe that I heard that the latest engine develops its maximum torque at 2500 RP M. This is lower than might be expected but certainly will be very helpful with a five speed box at on ramps and overtaking on two lane roads.

On the other hand, horsepower just keeps increasing as you increase the revs right up to the point where the pistons go through the head if you can get enough fuel into the chambers. I believe this is know as red-lining which was a practice of WWII Spitfire pilots and known as "going throught the gate" Thank God that they had a gate that they could go through.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

I understand, but i don't seem to understand why the automatic (with the same horse and engine) has less max torque than the manual. And if the automatic is more fragile in comparison to the manual...why didn't Saab reinforce the automatics mechanisms (if they wanted to save the automatic from wear) so that the auto could live and thrive much like the manual and thus, perform a little better. I don't doubt my saab automatic, i love it to death. I just am curious. I went through the specifcations of the Volvo s70 AWD 2000. Just shy of

200 horsepower...its an automatic, and it has just shy of 200 ft.lb. of max torque at roughly the same engine speed as my saab. Volvo didn't seem to be carful about saving their automatic from wear by handicapping the max torque to 184ftlb. -A curious SAAB enjoyer-
Reply to
SPL

Hi,

Simple : Because it is cheaper to change some bits on the ECU eeprom to put out less horsepower, than to install a automatic transmission with better specs, saab doesnt make them, they buy them i would think.

bye

simon

Reply to
Simon Putz