Vibrations at 80 km/hr

I have a 9000 2.3 cs Turbo automatic form 1997. When driving at 80 km/hr I feel vibrations in the entire car. When driving faster there is no problem. What could be the cause?

Reply to
Wido van Krieken

Lots of things, but the most common cause is unbalanced wheels. When was the last time the wheels were balanced?

Reply to
Grunff

Yes, driving on the motorway, you sometimes see cars with one terribly wobbling wheel. You often wonder if the driver has noticed, or maybe can feel the vibration, but don't know the source.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Then try to change into neutral when the vibrations happens. This should eliminate the drive train. The wheels may still be incorrectly balanced. Try also if you can reproduce the vibration at certain rpm independent of speed.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Wheels are recently balanced...

"Wido van Krieken" schreef in bericht news:40a65cdf$0$41758$ snipped-for-privacy@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...

Reply to
Wido van Krieken

No, this is bad. Johannes was assuming it's a manual gearbox.

I still wouldn't rule out wheel balance, but for your entertainment, here are the other main causes of vibration at a particular road speed:

[1] Worn engine mounts. [2] Worn suspension components. This includes ball joints, suspenion bushes and McP strut bearings. [3] Worn steering rack/track rod ends.
Reply to
Grunff

May I switch to N and back to D when driving 80 km/hr? I thought this was bad for the transmission...

"Johannes H Andersen" schreef in bericht news:40A7B094.49E6A80F@sizefitter_spam_gets_fried.com...

Reply to
Wido van Krieken

What about the inner drivers?

i've heard that can cause buzzing felt rather than heard through the car when there is wear in it.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Possible, but a lot less common on 9ks than on C900s.

Reply to
Grunff

Doh, missed the obvious bit about 9k :(

Reply to