Viggen Oil Consumption

I just test drove a 2002 Viggen that I'm looking to buy that has 36K miles on it. Everything checked out fine, except when I checked the oil level on the dipstick it wasn't registering. The owner had an extra quart, and when we put it in it went to the top of the range, so it looks like it was exactly a quart low. What could cause this? The owner was very reasonable, and understands that I would want to get this checked out. He is getting me in touch with his dealer to go over all the service records as a first step. I'd really appreciate any thoughts that other Viggen owners have on this? Have you had issues with engines consuming oil at 36K miles? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
ihleventhal

Is that a 9-3 or a 9-5 ?

Not sure which Viggen models there are.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It's a 9-3.

Reply to
ihleventhal

What I'd be concerned to know is the car's oil change (and general maintenance) history. Do you know when it last had a service ?

Is it a V6 engine in that btw ? That's a GM unit rather than a true Saab. The real Saab only ever made the 4 cyl engines that are reknowned for longevity you see and even the more recent ones fitted in the 9-3 are now Saab modified GM units instead of the 'real' Saab blocks.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Saabs generally should not consume much oil. Mine (a 9000) has 160k miles on it and still doesn't burn much.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It's a 4 cylinder, 2.3L, true Saab engine. I believe it was the 9-5 engine in the 9-3, with some other tweaks.

Reply to
ihleventhal

Hi,

Look for obvious leaks and drips on the ground. Look for leaks round the engine block esp. round the head. If the oil does not drip out then it gets burned and you should walk away. If it leaks and you can see it then you may consider what to do.

It probably shows the car has not been serviced as regularly as it should have. So walk away.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

It could also be the oil filter not fitted tight. The filter sits downwards, so oil will sip out. There is always a balance between tight fitting but not over tight fit.

Reply to
johannes

Same here, 144k miles.

Reply to
johannes

Same here, mine leaks more than it burns ;)

Reply to
Elder