Warning To All UK Drivers

If your planning on driving around Sheffield in the near future keep your windows up and doors locked. A chap tried to relieve me of F900 yesterday evening. Was stopped at Traffic lights with not much else about, passenger door opens and dodgy looking character appears in the passenger seat requesting I exit my vehicle post haste (or words to that effect). Needless to say I wasn't too keen on this idea and the ciggy I was smoking at the time found its way to said characters mug rather rapidly followed by the large maglight thats clipped under the drivers seat at which point he made his excuses and left (or something to that effect ;-)).

Obviously reported to the Police (minus the ciggy and maglight part) for all the good it'll do. Chap behind the desk mentioned that its getting quite common now and really its the only way for them to nick anything with decent security. All I need now is for him to turn up at the Sheffield nick reporting he's been assaulted and that would really finish off a stunning week nicely :-(.

Matt

P.S. Note for any US readers: In the UK if you try to defend yourself or your property its normaly you who end up in the dock whilst the crim gets a mild slap on the wrists and a fortnight in the Bahamas. Seriously!!!

Reply to
**-**

Bastard! Nicely got though, well done.

Reply to
Grunff

I guess we'll just have to bring our guns with us to the UK. Kidding, of course.

Reply to
ngwcaa

Once waited outside Charing Cross station for GF. Three burly fellas came up to my car and asked if I took passengers. Of course I didn't and my car never looked like a taxi. Nevertheless, one grabbed the door handle to make his way into my 'taxi', but I hit the central locking in a flash before he got hold. The look on his face was of total surprise, but I had a lucky escape. Another microsecond's hesitation, and I would have ended up in hospital and with no car.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Really was an unsettling moment. I know the sensible thing to do is to just get out and let them take it, afterall its not worth getting stabbed/shot/etc. for, but he was a skinny chap and I'm not and in the heat of the moment he wasn't getting my P&J!!

Matt

Reply to
**-**

"**-**" skrev i melding news:c00m4f$11o3t1$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-199813.news.uni-berlin.de...

You were SMOKING in your Saab?

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

Is this not allowed in Norway?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

I don't think it minds too much ;-)

Reply to
**-**

in article c00s14$11pg9h$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-199813.news.uni-berlin.de, **-** at snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote on 06/02/2004 20:06:

ciggy

So long as you have leather interior, it recovers fine.

I often think the "classic 900 smell" has something to do with tobacco smoke, but it's a faint whisper of a smell.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Yep, although the MD of a well known British sports car manafacturer did comment "Never has a leather interior looked so out of place" as I was rolling F900, with its taped up lights and full sticker'age, off the trailer. ;-)

I'd agree with that, when are they going to produce a "Classic 900" scented air freshener? At least then my work hack would at least smell like a proper bit of kit LOL

Reply to
**-**

That reminds me of the pedestrian's revenge - seen last summer. Imagine Oxford street (London, for the foreigners!) Busy road, slow traffic, lots of pedestrians. Out of side street comes grey soft top BMW, roof down, seriously posing driver. Shades, bracelets, big gold watch, the works. Hapless pedestrian walks in front of it. BMW man honks horn - loudly, not at all cool. Pedestrian walks over to car. Slight discussion follows. Pedestrian reaches into car, grabs keys, drops down drain, walks off. BMW drivers speechless. Ditto all the other passing pedestrians, who are rolling about wetting themselves.

(Thinks......couldn't do that to a Saab driver......)

david

Reply to
David Wilson

If you wanna be a serious poser, do it properly! At least drive a Saab conv with the keys in the central divider :)

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

In the US if you try to defend yourself, you face a very high chance of getting shot. Remember, the US is one gun-happy country.

-Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Solochek

Yes, the US is one gun-happy country and the criminals know it, and they base their potential victims on it. They know law abiding civilians in Washington D.C. can't own a gun, so guess who they target. The criminals in England know you can't carry a concealed hangun - so it makes their "job" easier. Yes, I called it a "job" because that is what a politically apppointed chief of police said. In a meeting with angry citizens, complaining about the lack of police support, he responded by saying you can't hurt or kill a criminal because they are doing a "job". I guess this is the attitude in England.

Reply to
ma_twain

Yes, on the parking area near 'Christmas Common', a well known beauty spot in UK, there is an official sign from the council: "Warning, thieves are operating in this area". I think I know what they're getting at, but if you read carefully, it could also have a different meaning...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

How is that good?

Your claim is not backed up by the facts. Can we please not have the eternal-gun-control-flamewar in this group? Pretty please?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I read that differently. If you read OP's account, you will get the idea of the UK situation.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Think you've got the wrong end of the proverbial stick there fella.

Reply to
**-**

Salutations:

You have adventures with that car of yours - I must admit. This may be useful, considering the thread.

When I had a C900 I ended up having trouble with the starter circuit in the floor.

I bypassed it by hard wiring the key to simply open the circuit and then hooked up the actual starter wire in one of the spare dash button holes. I think I used a old defroster button - but it might have been A/C relay. In either case all I did was remove a catch so the starter didn't keep running when it was released and I had to keep the key all the way over to ground the starting circuit in the first place. The key popped back to normal position when the car started and ran fine until I switched it off as per normal.

I was always worried about burning the button out - but on its final trip to the 'shop' we nursed it about 3km's with my missus holding the key over while I held the button down (there were some downhill sections - but not many).

Anyway, in this unfortunate circumstance, you could have simply shut the car off - handed the over the key with a meaningful "ok, if you really want it, you know SAAB's are a bit of a maintenance problem?" - and then calmly finish your smoke while the idiot tries to work it out. You can then have concluded the formalities with a simple "Sorry son, I've been meaning to get that seen too - comes and goes really" - and without the need to waste an otherwise perfectly good (and rather expensive) tailor made cigarette (which I take to the be the greater tragedy really).. :) ..

Actually I'm thinking of doing much the same thing with our current NG900 as I don't like locking the doors and have always liked a dash starter button. I don't keep anything in the car worth more than the glass unless you are willing to take the whole car - in which case the floor start/dash button combo makes it difficult enough to encourage the semi-pro's to move to the VW next door..

Reply to
Dexter J

In the UK if you defend yourself, you will find yourself locked up by the polcie as a menace to society. Your attacker will be compensated by public money, and will get a chance to sue you for loss of earnings (what he was doing when attacking you), distress, injury etc etc etc.

And he will win, and you will have a criminal record.

so if they try it, hit them, and do it very hard.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo