Washing 9-3 Convertible

Hi All

Just about to buy a 2000 9-3 Convertible (drool;-))...not having has a soft top before...I just wondered is there any special way to wash the roof? Do I use ordinary car washes and soaps or do I have to buy something especially for the purpose?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
indecisive

I wash my black 2000 9-3 Convertible about every week (mostly to clean the wheels) and only soap the top (with car detergent) soon after a bird gets to it. When I do I make certain to remove all suds and dry thoroughly before lowering. It rains enough here not to have to wash too often. BTW the best tool for cleaning the top is a lint brush used for pet hair on clothing. I have a big dog so they are always available around my house. I have seen people take SAAB convertibles through automatic car washes (they must be leased!) so doing it manually is definitely the preferred method. There are sprays to renew the waterproofing (3M is one) periodically too. I recommend you get "decisive" about maintaining your SAAB and it will reward you. Enjoy - hope its a stick.

Reply to
Mark Beckett

Hehe...thanks for the advice ;-)

And no...it is an Auto with the high pressure turbo ;-)

Reply to
indecisive

I use Armorall car wash soap since it won't strip any wax, and a soft brush on a handle from West Marine (time saver). Same thing on the soft top, chamois it dry.

Park the shitbox and come inside!

Steph

'67 Corvette Conv. 427/435

05 Sierra Crew Cab Dmax/Ally

Reply to
Steph

Lol!

I'm not sure we have "West Marine" in Australia, but we do have Armorall so I'll take your advice. Thanks ;-)

Reply to
indecisive

Only use water on the top unless you have a reason to do otherwise (as in, whatever you are trying to remove won't come off with water and gentle scrubbing. Treat the top periodically with a proper preservative.

A "real" car wash soap is always recommended. Some soaps remove your wax - those are best avoided.

Reply to
Jay B

I have a 92 conv with orig top on it . I use plane water, no detergent on it and it looks like i put it on last year.

papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

Thanks again guys.

I just completed the deal.

A 2000 9-3 convertible, black with charcoal leather and the HOT engine. ;-)) Just having the woodgrain fitted and will collect this week...woohoo!

Reply to
indecisive