weird behavior of inside dome light

The dome light in my 1995 9000CS has never come on when I open the door since I bought it last May. The light worked if I turned it on with the switch, but not when the door was opened. I tried all the positions in the manual and figured it was a problem with the door switch that I'd get around to fixing some day. Yesterday, it started going on when the door was opened and shuts off when I start the car. The only thing I can figure out that changed was that I fiddled with a switch in the hatch to turn the hatch light on when the hatch was opened. I thought that bulb was dead and was going to replace it along with other rear lights (got the warning that one of them was out.) However, when I went to check the bulb, I saw a switch I hadn't noticed before. When I changed the position of the switch, the light went on and then off when I opened/closed the hatch. What I don't understand is that the hatch light worked before, but the dome light didn't. It's nice have the dome light on. Thought I'd pass it on to anyone else who might be having the same problems.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK
[snip]

On my 9-3, if you leave an interior light switched on, it goes out after about 20 minutes to prevent the battery being drained. Presumably, the system won't switch the power back on again until it sees that the switch has been turned off. Maybe your car has the same system, but with both lights on the same circuit.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Stamp