Well, the convertible is on Ebay now.

Anyone interested in something for the Summer.

I've tried to be honest about the problems.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, NeedforSwede2 at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 19/03/2006 22:01:

Good luck with the sale, mate - it's priced to sell, I must say!

You should try an 8V next time :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

I'm going to go back to "bangernomics" for a while. Maybe an old Golf TDi or Audi 80 TDi and run it on 50% veg oil over the summer, or maybe a Volvo 240 or 340. Both could be fun with the rwd and have swedish safety even if they don't have the stability of the older Saab.

If all else fails, I always have the Skoda Felicia as a fall back, If I can find an L&K 1.3 limited edition I'll get leather, electric windows, heated seats and central locking, and a setup designed for a cold country, I'll just miss out on the woosh.

When I et another Saab it will probably be a late as possible 9000 2.3 LPT. Enough woosh for fun, and everything there bar the boost solenoid and gauge, so some room for a cheaper upgrade.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Pssst...Carl... I think you screwed up the photos, friend; the steering wheel shows on the wrong side...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Thanks, Nope I'm sure that is where it was when I bought it. mind you it does use a couple of silly linkages to get to the brake and clutch cylinders.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

So how do they do that? I assume some sort of bracket and bushing on the firewall? An problem at the pivot points, or did they get it right?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The pedal turns a shaft which runs right across to the other side of the car. The shaft sits in several nylon bearings. At the other (UK passenger side) the shaft turns a lever which is in the right place to emulate the non-existent pedals.

You get the same problem with the clutch pin hole enlarging, but that's about it - the rest works pretty well even at really high miles.

Reply to
Grunff

I guess that is about the only way to do it without getting exotic. Does the steering rack still install upside-down to switch from one side to the other, like on the 93/95/96/97?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yes, I believe there's only one rack for LHD and RHD, so it must just be turned upside down.

Reply to
Grunff

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 20/03/2006 13:50:

No Dave, the steering wheel is on the right side of the car ... It makes up for not driving on the right side of the road :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

I'll tell you what, it's pretty strange at first seeing a car coming at you, with NOBODY in what I'm used to seeing as the driver's seat. And more than once, I got into the wrong side of the car after filling the petrol tank. Of course, you're obliged to do the "Oh, I meant to do that" thing, rummage around a bit, take something out, and then walk around as if it was intended all along. Took a couple weeks when I got back home, to get used to driving on the other side of the car & road again.

I won't even talk about parallell parking on the wrong side of a one-way street, sitting on the wrong side of the car. I just left it there all day rather than move it to have to park it again. (on a side topic, any idea what the statute of limitations is on a municipal parking ticket from Liverpool? I'm, er, just curious...)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Eventually, if it builds up enough, they send bailiffs, who add extra charges to come and take away your goods. Now add a transatlantic air flght, and rental of a cargo plane and you might be looking at quite a sum. They may even extradite.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

That'd be a trick, I think, in that your cops aren't armed, and folks around here almost universally are. Or do they bend the rules for international traffic violation extractions?

Excellent. Been wanting to get back over there. This method doesn't seem to be real reliable, because it's been nearly a dozen years. I suppose I just have to wait until they're ready for me then?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 21/03/2006 13:39:

You've obviously never met a Scouse bailiff, have you? :) Oh, and in the UK they're nothing to do with the cops ...

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Really? (googles). Wow. You peole are positively _wrecking_ the English language, you know that, right?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 21/03/2006 19:23:

... Although we do manage to remember our "p's and q's" ...

I know what you're going to say in retort to my trolled, "we speak real English" ..."well, there's more of us (Americans) than there are of you (British)", but populist as American English may well be, it's still not real English. To quote one of our favourite exports, "... American English ... Like real English but with more adenoids ..." :)

Which word do I need to translate? It can't be "scouse", since that's a real English word; even in American dictionaries:

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Whatever that means?

Heh. The language certainly gets mangled (differently) depending on where it's spoken, that's for sure.

No, the different usage of "bailiff". An interesting word, that. So you have the bailiff, and the sheriff. Looking for the origins of those two words which appear to be of common construction. (digs further) Ah, I see that you have a different concept of "Sheriff" too. I guess that makes sense.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 22/03/2006 15:05:

In real terms, our Bailiffs are more like your Bail Bondsmen! The individuals who actually go knocking on people's doors (on behalf of the Bailiff, but commonly referred to as "the Bailiffs") are often drawn from the local thuggery! Couple that concept with a Scouser and you'll get quite a colourful picture ... Especially, if he's had to cross the Atlantic on behalf of Liverpool City Council :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Right. Here, a bailiff is, almost always, the cop who sits in the courtroom providing physical security, handing documents around, that sort of thing.

So that'd be a "posse" type thing then, which I'm pretty sure is ancient history around these parts. But you're saying that the police can hire thugs to go do their dirty work for them, and that's legal?

So should I pay the ticket then, or wait for the nice chaps to show up?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, Dave, I thought you'd have known that one.

Minding one's "p's and q's" comes from centuries ago, the habit of the patrons of taverns actually keeping tally of their own bar tab (pints and quarts) and then settling up with the barkeep at the end of the night.

So if one was asked "How many is that for you, Dave?", a proper reply would be, "Why don't you mind your own p's and q's."

At least that is how I've heard it.

Reply to
Fred W