What happened for SVC?

What happened for Saab Variable Compression engine? It was a topic for discussion some 5 years ago, and I believe they said it should be in production around 2005. I think it received some awards and stuff.

I have not heard about it for long time, what happened to it? Wasn't feasible after all or what?

BR:Z

Reply to
Zon

GM killed it due to cost. It is much cheaper to use one of the traditional and boring GM global engines.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Cheaper, still to use a 3cyl GM Corsa engine...

The SVC was, as far as I remember, 5cyl 1.6L 225bhp engine with excellent economy, it was fitted to 9-5 test cars. Last I heard was that Saab was trying to solve noise problems in early engines. There was a lot of info and excitement on Saab's web site, but it suddenly went quiet...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen