What tires for '99 9-3?

I'm planning to buy a set of summer tires for my '99 9-3 FPT. I'd like to get a set of Continental PremiumContact, Goodyear Eagle Ventura, Nokian NRHi, Marangoni Vanto or Pirelli P6 in size 195/60-15, but none of those seem to be available in US. Well, Pirelli P6 is, but it is not the same tire that is sold in Europe (it is all-season, not interested).

So, what tires I should go for? I do not need any winter traction since I have separate set of winter tires, and for this reason I would not like to go for all-seasons, unless someone is able to convince me.

What are Yokohama tires like? They seem to be cheap, but are they worth the money?

BR;Z

Reply to
Zon

If anyone in the states can get the Nokian NRHi's, it's Pat Greer at Greer Enterprises - 414-545-2296. Saab enthusiast, and I've bought dozens of tires from him over the years. Either way, he can tell you if it's importable or not; I bet if it is, he has 'em.

Dave "Not affiliated with in any way, just a friend & satisfied customer, etc etc etc" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Are you sure that NRHi:s are approved for the 9-3, especially an FPT? It depends on the rules, but for modern cars here in Europe you are not really allowed to use tires with a lower speed index than was used for the model approval.

I would have liked to buy the NRHi a couple of weeks ago. Thisis really the first summer tires without toxic HA oils, but I was forced to go to V-grade tires (stuck with similar Michelin tires as the car was originally equipped with)becuse the car would otherwise have been rejected at the next upcoming mandatory inspection.

H tires are rated for 210 km/h, V tires for 240 km/h and although my 9-5 has a max speed of 209 km/h, according to the manual, it must be fitted with V tires.

Reply to
th

Can't tell you about Yokohamas; but for my .02 worth, I'd suggest either Dunlop SP5000/SP8000s or the new Toyo Proxes 4s. I had the Dunlop SP8000s on my '01 9-3SE; absolutely lovely tires, superb handling, very soft compound (probably would've stuck the wall); but, very short lived (darn compound!). After the SP8000's I've been on a set of Toyo Proxes 4s (+/-

2500 miles so far); they're especially stable at "top speeds"; have been reassuring in the wet; not too noisy; and handling has been fine for "spirited" corners/driving. Additionally, you may be able to get a good deal as Toyo is in the midst of an aggressive USA promotion (they're trying for mainstream marketshare; though they seem to be popular with the boy-racer/tuner crowd).
Reply to
J. Harris

I guess I have to check these brands, too.

BR:Z

Reply to
Zon

Well, yes, that is true. Of course, in some countries you can have tires with speed rating lower than car's top speed if you have a sticker in dash that clearly states that. Don't know how that goes in US, though. I guess I have to do some research.

BR;Z

Reply to
Zon

Actually, they are very good tires and usually at a good price. I have a set of the AVS dB's (V speed rated) on my daughter's 9000CSE and they have proven themselves to be excellent summer tires on both dry and wet roads. Not recommended for winter (snow) driving though. They are also not particularly long wearing if that matters to you, but the trade off is better traction.

I also put a set of Yokohama Avid H4's on my other daughter's car (a Chevy Cavalier) and those have been good tires too. They wear longer, but the traction is not as good as the dB's They would probably not be recommended for your SAAB due to the H speed rating. Check out the feedback reports at

In general, Yoko's are highly regarded, more-son than many of the more expensive tires that you mentioned.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.