Wheel nut wrench.

Hi,

I recently got a puncture, and needed to remove the wheel i did this ok but noticed that after it was repaired and put back on the wheel nut wrench had deformed, this had happened to me several years ago on my 2000 93, and i was told then that SAAB has never seen this before. later on traded in for one of the last 93 Aeros and have had the same issue, this wrench of course has a GM label on it so i know its crap to start with, but what if your travelling big time country. Has any one seen this before ? SAAB will only replace this part with another of the same. The nuts where tightened to the correct spec so this was not an issue.

TX vhcolc

Reply to
vhcolc

The tools you get in car toolkits are traditionally fairly crappy. Have you considered purchasing a longer aftermarket wrench? Around here (UK) nice extending ones can be had for around £10. The longer lever makes undoing wheel nuts much easier, even when they've been tightened by an over-enthusiastic tyre person with an air wrench set to kill.

Reply to
Grunff

Hi,

Yup i will do that this weekend i suspect, but have asked SAAB to pay for the tool to do the job, so will see what they do....

Reply to
vhcolc

My God! Really, life is too short!!

Reply to
Grunff

I was unpleasantly surprised to find out that Saab's lug wrench was so awful. I ended up calling a tow truck to change a tire for me. I couldn't budget the nuts with it. I've changed tires on a Lincoln and a Mazda and both had excellent equipment for it.

snipped-for-privacy@madmousergraphics.com

design, print design, photography

Reply to
LauraK

It is usually at this point that I go into my 500 word rant about how everyone should be issued a torque wrench with their first license as a public safety measure. I've stopped doing it now knowing the good folks at

-insert your fav automobile manufacturer here- have pretty much stopped issuing accurate torque figures on anything outside the dealer satellite network uplink.

I have two - one long bar and one short bar - both dial rachet - both cased and oiled - both calibrated. I keep the short one in the trunk at all times. Wish they made a decent multihead screwdriver with the same option.

Cheers and best wishes.

Reply to
Dexter J

Do it Dex! Do it!!

Same here, so far.

Ouch! I wouldn't keep my torque wrench in the boot. I love them too much. In an emergency, I do it by ear, then redo later. I'm a reasonable judge of torque (within about 20%).

They do! Can't give you a direct link, but go to and search for 469-6475.

Reply to
Grunff

It's just the usual GM cheapening of Saab...Used to get pretty decent tools with saabs of old....

Reply to
Chris

I have the short alloy Wagner in the molded case - has a rubber gasket in the lid so it stays nice and dry if you add a silica bag. I stuff it in under the tire and no one is the wiser.

With a screwdriver bit adapter I can use it with a torx set around the machine, but I can't always get in where I need to. When I can, I get the basic torque as I loosen it and then send it back home as indicated when I'm done. Not correct I know - but I try to allow for corrosion and Friday afternoon assembly variances as I go along.

I'm afraid my free hand touch isn't nearly as close as yours brother Grunff - you will remember my passenger window adventure last summer.. Always one flipping quarter turn too much..

Anyway, I hit your link and the darned site was down. Any chance you have a product name or a shop who might keep them on hand? I've seen adapters made up by chaining a torque sleeve on the end of a screwdriver with a rachet head - but they aren't usually close in terms of foot pounds and if someone has a purpose built job I'm very interested.

Reply to
Dexter J

I remember...

Just looked, and you're right! I'm horrified. It's like looking out of the window and finding my favourite tree's not there. RS is a very long established company, with superb customer service. Used by just about any UK company which buys engineering/electronics goods. The site will be back up soon. It will. I promise.

They actually do a whole range of torque screwdrivers, both torque indicating and torque limiting. Great tools, but not cheap - you're looking at ~£100 for one, more if you want it with a calibration certificate. When the site is back up, just search for "torque screwdriver" for the whole range.

Reply to
Grunff

Bookmarked - I'll check back later. NP on good calibrated tools ever - that kind of investment actually does pay off.

Reply to
Dexter J

I don't carry a torque wrench in the "trunk" . It would be bounced around too much. On the road, I tighten the lug bolts by the pain level in my hand (easy at my age). I "calibrate" my hand when I tighten the lug bolts at home when I have a torque wrench to use as a comparison.

Reply to
ma_twain

Yes,

when the first tool failed i had to ring the SAAB road side assist people, the girl asked me straight why i could not change it myself, then when the guy turned up some 30 mins later he for sure thought the same, until i showed him the useless tool.

Reply to
vhcolc

I'm curious, does the tool have Saab markings on it?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I checked and it only has the GM label along with 18 alpha num code and thats it...

Reply to
vhcolc

Rather late to the party with this but... It is sad, how latter- day owners of proud marques neglect the details. I still have an adjustable spanner (US: wrench?) which came with a 2.4 litre Jag, circa 1960 vintage, as part of the toolkit. Best **** spanner I have _ever_ seen, anywhere. Immaculate quality. Slick mechanism and solid build. Still with its blued-steel finish unblemished. Could I get that from 2004-Ford-Jaguar? Not holding my breath.

-- Andrew Stephenson

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Thank god you said that, as the combined tyre iron/wheel wrench in my

1984 T16S is great. The screwdrivers are fantastic, and the waterpump pliers have had a 1001 uses so far.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

It probably saved GM less than a dollar to put the GM tool instead of a Saab tool :-( The tools in my Saab have the Saab name on it.

If they were truly concerned about customer service they would not have asked you why you did not change the tire yourself.

Reply to
ma_twain

Well, who put the GM tool in the Saab? Was it really Saab, or was it the dealer, or was it someone else? Mine has a Saab part number on it ('99 9-5), never seen one in a Saab with GM markings but I don't go around checking that sort of thing.

Anyone else have lugwrenches in their Saab with only GM markings on them?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

The lug wrench for my 2004 9-3 says GM.