Where is the turbo bypass valve?

I am trying to replace the turbo bypass (dump) valve (aka "hooter" valve) on my 1990 SAAB 900 SPG but I can't for the life of me find the damn thing. I found some info and a pic at:

But that doesn't look anything like what I see. They show all this plastic duct work under the distributor over on the right side. All I see is the exhaust manifold off the engine and the turbine itself (both of which should be in the bottom of that pic but aren't).

Can anyone help me out here? I must be blind...

Reply to
Scott I. Remick

There is a valve, plastic I think, about 1.5" in diam and maybe 2" long. Hose comes from near the throttle plate to the boot which connects to the turbo intake. There is also a small vacuum hose connected to the thing. It is just behind the turbo intake and probably there is a heater hose on top of it.

I am looking at an 85 and 86 900 T.

Charles.

Reply to
Charles Stoyer

in article snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xyz, Scott I. Remick at snipped-for-privacy@nospam.xyz wrote on 20/07/2004 00:31:

Find the throttle butterfly on your intake manifold. Opposite the butterfly is a half inch width pipe that gradually gets wider and ends up at the "hooter" valve.

It recirculates turbo-charged air back into the pre-turbo air pipe when the throttle is closed. If you don't have one, get one fitted - they're about 20 UKP new from SAAB or some other Bosch dealer.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday