Where's the fuel pump on my 2000 9-3 Convertible?

The car died on the way to work this morning. It wouldn't accelerate, then it started losing speed and stuttering. When I got to the top of an exit ramp off the highway, and pushed in the clutch, it died altogether, wouldn't start again.

I hear no sound coming from the back when I turn the key, which to me indicates the pump went bad. I'm used to them being under the back seat, but can't figure out how to lift up the seat.

Is it in the trunk???

Thanks,

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

I have just bought the new Haynes manual for the 9-3, so here goes! You have to drop the tank out under the car, disconnecting bits as you go, to get at the pump,

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Thanks, I kept digging online, and eventually spoke to a shop. They told me the same thing. Unfortunately, because I don't have the facilities to do the work myself, I had to drop it off.

Quite an expensive repair, but it'll be good to get the car back today.

Thanks,

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

The same thing happened to my '97 900 SET early this summer. Luckily, it was in the garage at the time it wouldn't start. The local dealer wanted $1200-$1400 to change the unit plus towing. And the dealer said that they would not be responsible if they broke any of the brittle plasic fuel injection tubing that comes out of the unit.

I tried to drop the tank, but the J-bolts were rusty and the 3 hose clamps to the tank were also very rusty. I finally opened the sheet metal above the tank and was ablle to replace just the pump for $120 at NAPA. The dealer cost for the pump unit was around $500. After I cut the hole, it took about 3 hours to change the pump inside the unit. If this happens again, it shouldn't take more than 2 hours to change. I covered the hole with sheet metal and screwed it back with shortened screws with rounded tips so that in the even of a crash, the screws wouldn't puncture the tank.

Let us know what you bill is..... Ron

Reply to
Ron

  1. How'd you know where to cut the sheet metal?
  2. Does NAPA list the pump for this car or did you have to know what to order based on other info?
  3. Was this a complete pump? Plug-n-play ? Or was it part of the pump?

Thanks,

Reply to
still just me

Holy old topic Batman!

It was right around $1200 as I recall, parts & labor, plus a new filter.

I don't know anything about '97s. Are they very similar to a 2000 model? I couldn't/wouldn't cut the sheet metal to make the repair easier, at least not now, since I hope to sell the car soon. The way I understood it, half the price was the pump, as it was part of an entire assembly that included the sending unit for the gas gauge, and I believe a pressure switch or something...

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens