Who Drives a Saab?

On holidays I found time to waste on car mags, especially Top Gear which is in my opinion the most entertaining of the english language bunch, by far. It's refreshingly reliable in political incorrectness (a UK government publication. hooray.) and passion about a good drive.

The June issue has a test on diesel saloons, featuring BMW 320d, Audi A4 2.0 TDI and the "a bit of a wild card but often overlooked" Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Vector, bringing the writer eventually to the "dinner party discussion point."

"Your accountant drives a Mercedes, and we already know who drives the Beemer [angry, over-achieving real estate agents with a penchant for pinstripe and too much hair product], but who the hell drives a Saab?

Saab themselves would have you believe that the sort of people who drive their cars are fighter pilots on weekend leave in a desperate rush to cross snow-swept landscapes to knot limbs with their outrageously nubile loved ones. But the reality seems to be that 9-3 drivers are slightly self-satisfied types like dentists and middle-weight architects with hard to quantify career trajectories who'll have you believe that the act of Saab ownership has somehow etched their success in stone and distinguished them utterly fron the common saloon driver."

My question now is, which of these groups do YOU, my dear fellow newsgroup user, belong to? Or rather, any thoughts to follow this up?

Oh, their verdict, BTW goes BMW way: Saab is found to be "beautifully designed", "distinctive and refreshing" with "something desirable about", "but that'll seen like a crappy pay-off when the kids pull the interior apart on the way home from your local dealership."

"Buy the Audi and no-one thinks you're flash, granted, but every time some grinning spiv in a 3-series bolts from the lights you'll know that, tosser or not, he's still got the better motor."

Reply to
Simo

I agree, I love Top Gear. Color me a "grinning spiv", whatever the hell that is.

Another odd observation of my own is that many (especially European) SAAB drivers seem to feel a great need to put-down all BMW drivers, but I have never observed the reciprocal?

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I guess I'm near that group: a middle aged (European) civil engineer.

Not only SAAB, I've noticed other drivers feel that need too...

Reply to
MH

BMW drivers have a particulaly poor image in the UK, I suspect because the type of "Type A" personality that would tend to buy one is also the sort to drive like a complete idiot. I have to admit too, that as both a Saab driver and a BMW driver, my BMW brings out a rather bad side of me - I drive it more aggressively than any car I have had bar an 84 Jetta GLI I had in college. I was young and stupid then, I have no such excuse now. The thing just begs to be grabbed by the scruff of the neck and wrung out.

Kevin Rhodes

00 Saab 9-5 SE V6t wagon (safe and comfy) 91 BMW 318is (M3 Jr, same suspension, 40 less hp, 200lbs less wieght) 74 Triumph Spitfire (fun in the sun)
Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

In the UK BMW drivers are on the whole complete, well er they're total ah um? How do I say this without using profanity?!?

We, i.e. those of us who drive anything but BMW's don't like em. It's their general behaviour that does it. I know this is a generalisation, but the few like Grunff(?!?) who are gent's are the exception that proves the rule.

Not sure if it is a European thing, I can only speak for the UK. AND to be fair, since I don't know most of my fellow British subjects personally, it really is a generalisation!

OP comment:- I am a Civil Engineer, (Bridges/structures)I fell in love with the C900 years ago, and now I am on my second...and not my last.

Al

Reply to
Al
[snip]

In the UK at-least, you'll probably find you can widen that out to non-BMW drivers rather than just Saab drivers. I certainly had an irrational dislike of BMW drivers long before I ever thought about owning a Saab.

I'm not sure what category I fall into. I wasn't aware of making a brand decision when I bought my 9-3. I just bought the car that seemed to best fulfil all the conflicting requirements of me, my company, my family and my bank balance. When I got it home, it turned out to have a Saab badge.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Saab used to make well engineered thoughtful cars, which in some cases (

70's 99 turbo, 900 turbo) were very good to drive. Not much of what made a saab a saab is alive with the re-engineered GM stuff.....

I think I'd be as happy driving a new Audi or BMW (or dare I say Volvo!) as a new Saab - they just don't have anything that stands out in their current lineup IMO....

Reply to
john

Mate, I was doing that even when I had my Skoda 120L. I paid =A390 for it,= =20 and the indicators worked. They can't get that right on the new M5.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

You can't but the use is excusable in this case.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Actually it's *all* European drivers apart from BMW drivers. If you saw how the average BMW was driven over here, you'd understand.

As for BMW drivers, they don't give a shit as long as other motorists get out of their way.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Sounds like the SUV drivers over here.

Reply to
James Sweet

That's OK, I'd have to say that I do the same thing (drive the BMWs more aggressively). I think it is the RWD and overall balance of the car that makes us feel that way. But, it's how you behave toward *other* drivers that would be more on point to this discussion, and I assume that you treat them the same regardless of which car you are in, right Kevin?

I mean, you are the guy in Maine, right? How agressively do they *ever* drive up there?

Was the '91 318is an E30? I assume you are comparing it to an E30 M3...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Where are you from?

Reply to
José Orlando Letra

Graham is from England. I am from the Northeast US.

-- Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

He is one of us proud brits who know best about everything.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I like to think I am still considerate, but I am human, I have my moments.... I find myself to be much more impatient when I am driving the BMW. I am definitely the most relaxed driving my Triumph. It's so slow you couldn't outrun a 3yr old on a tricycle, but it feels like a missile.

Yep, I live in the 'burbs of Portland. Compared to MA or NY, not very. Compared to anywhere in the "flyover States", extremely agressively. I travel constantly for my job - People in the Midwest make me crazy they drive so slowly and passively!

Yes indeed. 1.8l twincam four. Very much a junior M3 in spirit. Lovely car to drive, the more you rev it the better it gets. Bet it would suck to tow with though - to bring up an earlier thread! :-)

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Rhodes

Kevin,

I feel you there man. I lived in DC for two years before moving back to indianapolis. I miss the crazyness of DC traffic, and feel myself slipping back into indiana driving mode.. I'm just glad the turbo gets up to 85 pretty quickly =)

Reply to
LC

Noooo!! Just when we were starting to get along. Let's just not go there... ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Hello Colin, do you think the image they wish to be associated with might be quality engineering? Incidentally what image do you associate with a Saab?

Reply to
John Hudson

The opposite image of a BMW driver. Courteous, considerate, etc...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen