Wing Mirror Glass Fitting Question

OK - my 9000 was attacked by vandals sometime in the night So far i have managed to repair/replace all the damaged parts except the drivers door wing mirror glass. The outer housing is untouched, and all i see is the mechanism etc. I have a "spare" glass, but have NO idea on fitting it. Anyone here had experience of fitting one? It seems to me to be a "fiddley" job, and could need a special tool perhaps

Any help appreciated

Teleman

Reply to
Teleman

It's easy.

Stick a flat bladed screwdriver through the hole at the bottom of the housing and you'll engage with a piece of plastic inside the housing. Flick the screwdriver one way (sorry can't remember which way! and you'll disengage the mirror and it will fall into your hand.

From that point onwards it's pretty obvious. Just disconnect the heater wires and replacement is a reversal.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Thanks for that, David - Pretty straightforward when you see the hole for screwdriver (which i didnt, and "teased" it out of the holder) What was concerning me was there are 2 "pegs" in the mirror housing that correspond to 2 indents on the back of the glass bezel. I had a HORRIBLE feeling that these needed to be lined up to engage

Again, thanks

Teleman

Reply to
Teleman

Can't remember now but as you've probably seen by now, it's easy once you know how. Replacement is a simple case of putting the mirror into position and then flipping the catch with the screwdriver.

:)

Reply to
David Taylor

David Taylor wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.cable.ntlworld.com:

I can show you how this looks with the mirror and back removed -- thanks to a flaming idiot who tried to run me over on the interstate today. Changed lanes without looking to see if there was anyone else there. The only way I could get away was to try swerve to the left, into the path of a semi. Thankfully, the only damage was that the driver's side mirror, front and back, got ripped off and I got some tire rub. Thank God I was driving a Saab. I've ordered a replacement mirror but they only have black so I'll have to have it repainted. A year -- almost to the day -- from when my 9000 got hit. I'm no longer leaving the house during the Ides of August! What really burned me up about the accident was that the mini-van that tried to run over me -- and didn't even stop or notice that he/she almost killed me

-- had FOP (Fraternal Order of Police) license plates. Means driver is a cop or related to one. A very nasty letter to the local police/sheriffs offices will be whipped of tonight.

Reply to
Laura K

Glad you're ok. Of course if you're a fatalist you'll realise that staying inside probably won't help, because some time next August a white van or a Volvo will fall through the roof .... Cheers

Reply to
hippo