02 Saturn Vue fault code P0000

I've been having a problem getting my new 2002 Saturn Vue to pass smog. The emisions is great, (I thougth that what smog test is all about), but it failed because check engine soon light stays on and fault code P0000 is displayed on the machine. After looking on line about this code, it looks like the problem the car was having was fixed but the cars computer was not cleared propperly. Anyone know how I can clear this fault with out buying any expecive equipment?

Thanks

Reply to
Thomas M via CarKB.com

Hey Thomas,

Here's the deal...As far as the "Check Engine" system and it's inspection... Depending on the year make and model of vehicle you own, this system is different. If you own a 1996 or newer vehicle you more then likely own a vehicle which is equipped with an On-Board Diagnostics system called OBD II, as opposed to an OBD I system which older vehicles were equipped with. The OBD II Diagnostic system is designed to monitor all aspects of your engine's emission conditions and report this information to a central database within it's computer. This information is processed and checked against the computers pre-determined values for various inputs levels and performance patterns. If any problems are found, the computer will determine whether to alert the driver or not. If a decision has been made to alert the driver of an emissions problem, the "Check Engine" or "Engine Malfunction" light will illuminate on the vehicle's dashboard. In more serious emission conditions the computer may even begin to rapidly flash the "Check Engine/Malfunction" light indicating to the driver, that the vehicle needs immediate diagnosis/repair attention.

MORE INFO AND SMOG CHECK COUPONS UP to $20.00 OFF AT

Now here's what the smog test has to do with the OBD II system...Your vehicle is equipped with an OBD II computer AND a link to connect the OBD II computer to a Smog Check Analyzer or Data Scan Tool (available at most auto part stores). The OBD II link relays all "Check Engine" conditions along with stored Trouble Codes with in the center database, to the smog machine during the time of the smog inspection. If any codes are present which cause the Check Engine light to illuminate either regularly or intermittently, the vehicle fails the smog inspection. Here's the tricky part, not all computer codes illuminate the Check Engine light.

MORE INFO AND SMOG CHECK COUPONS UP to $20.00 OFF AT

In fact I can say there are two types of codes, bad codes and good codes. The good codes are the "Readiness Flags". These Readiness Flags indicate that certain emissions systems which the OBD II computer has been monitoring have PASSED the test, indicating that those systems are working properly. Then there are the bad codes. The bad codes are actual "Trouble Code". These codes indicate that the OBD II computer has detected a problem with in the emissions system. The Trouble Code will specifically indicate the component and problem which was found. Newer vehicle's have very complex codes in the thousands.

MORE INFO AND SMOG CHECK COUPONS UP to $20.00 OFF AT

A vehicle will fail the smog inspection if the proper "Readiness Flags" are not set. A vehicle will also fail the smog inspection if any "Trouble Codes" are present. So it is possible for a vehicle to fail the smog inspection without the "Check Engine" light on. "Readiness Flags" do not cause the "Check Engine" light to illuminate, but may cause a vehicle to fail the smog test.

MORE INFO AND SMOG CHECK COUPONS UP to $20.00 OFF AT

Now here's the fix... in order to set all the proper "Readiness Flags" the OBDII system must complete at least one drive cycle (in some cases two or three). A drive cycle is a sequence of internal tests which the OBDII computer runs while your vehicle is being driven. This insures all emissions systems are functioning properly. Only then will your vehicle pass the smog inspection. A drive cycle usually requires one week of driving.

MORE INFO AT

I hope this information is helpful to you. For more information check out California's Leading Smog Check Support Groups Website

Sincerely, Mike - SmogTips Support

Thomas M via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
TheSmogTech

If the problem is really fixed, several driving cycles (which may take several days) will clear it. If not, you'll have to take it to someone with a CAN-compliant ODBII reader to clear it. Your best bet is your local Saturn retailer - the emissions warranty is 50,000 miles so they have an obligation to fix whatever's causing the light if I'm not mistaken. -Rick

Reply to
Rick Murphy